+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UK Citizen with Permanent Residency in Canada - left Canada end of 2019 to return to UK - need tax help please!

wilco88

Apr 30, 2020
Hi,

I moved to Canada from the UK in 2014. I received permanent residency status in 2017. I decided to leave Canada and returned to the UK in 2019.
I am trying to file my tax return now but am confused about my residency status for tax purposes. I dont know which forms to fill in etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

despacito2017

Star Member
Oct 4, 2017
As there could be double taxation treaty matters at play and Canadian and UK tax years are very different, you might want to hire the services for an international tax consultant such as BDO, PWC, etc

If you are in London, there are plenty of smaller tax consultants who are also proficient in international tax matters.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I moved to Canada from the UK in 2014. I received permanent residency status in 2017. I decided to leave Canada and returned to the UK in 2019.
I am trying to file my tax return now but am confused about my residency status for tax purposes. I dont know which forms to fill in etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
You file a normal tax return in Canada. If you cut your residential ties to Canada, you were a tax resident until you left the country. If you didn't cut your ties, you may be considered a resident for the whole year.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving-entering-canada-non-residents/leaving-canada-emigrants.html