+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

U.S. company working in Canada

Naomi.

Star Member
Jan 26, 2019
I was wondering if I (U.S. citizen) am able to work in Canada.

I'm currently applying for an inland spousal application (PR+OWP).
However, my application has a mistake on it, which may possibly cause me to withdraw and resubmit my application.
I know that I cannot work in Canada or for any Canadian companies, until I have an OWP.

I'm not sure if that rule applies to this:

I'm interested in working at Amazon Canada, where I will be selling goods through Amazon's FBA.
If I were to start a U.S. company, in which I will register my Amazon with,
Is it possible to import goods from the U.S. to the Canadian address that I'm currently living in and sell it on Amazon Canada?
Or is that considered working in Canada, and I cannot do that unless I have an OWP?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I was wondering if I (U.S. citizen) am able to work in Canada.

I'm currently applying for an inland spousal application (PR+OWP).
However, my application has a mistake on it, which may possibly cause me to withdraw and resubmit my application.
I know that I cannot work in Canada or for any Canadian companies, until I have an OWP.

I'm not sure if that rule applies to this:

I'm interested in working at Amazon Canada, where I will be selling goods through Amazon's FBA.
If I were to start a U.S. company, in which I will register my Amazon with,
Is it possible to import goods from the U.S. to the Canadian address that I'm currently living in and sell it on Amazon Canada?
Or is that considered working in Canada, and I cannot do that unless I have an OWP?
It's definitely not possible to do this unless you hold a valid open work permit. Without an open work permit, this would be classified as working illegally since it will be viewed as completing with the Canadian labour market.

You can work in Canada without a work permit but only if you are working for a company outside of Canada (e.g. working online) and there are no Canadian customers or companies involved (i.e. you cannot be selling anything to individuals in Canada).

Naomi.

Star Member
Jan 26, 2019
It's definitely not possible to do this unless you hold a valid open work permit. Without an open work permit, this would be classified as working illegally since it will be viewed as completing with the Canadian labour market.

You can work in Canada without a work permit but only if you are working for a company outside of Canada (e.g. working online) and there are no Canadian customers or companies involved (i.e. you cannot be selling anything to individuals in Canada).
Ah, I see.
Would you know if it was possible for me to establish a partnership with my spouse?

He's a Canadian citizen, while I'm a U.S. citizen, living at his address.
He's currently a co-owner of a corporation as well, so I'm not sure if that conflicts with forming a partnership.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ah, I see.
Would you know if it was possible for me to establish a partnership with my spouse?

He's a Canadian citizen, while I'm a U.S. citizen, living at his address.
He's currently a co-owner of a corporation as well, so I'm not sure if that conflicts with forming a partnership.
I don't think there's anything stopping you from forming a partnership. However you can't do any work at all as part of this partnership in Canada, even unpaid.

Naomi.

Star Member
Jan 26, 2019
I don't think there's anything stopping you from forming a partnership. However you can't do any work at all as part of this partnership in Canada, even unpaid.
Oh okay. What about if I were to do freelance work in Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Oh okay. What about if I were to do freelance work in Canada?
You need an open work permit to do that. Otherwise you'll be working illegally.

Naomi.

Star Member
Jan 26, 2019
You need an open work permit to do that. Otherwise you'll be working illegally.
I've read around the forums about freelance working while on a visitor visa in Canada.

I just wanted to confirm:
It's possible to do freelance work while I'm in Canada, as long as I'm not taking any work from any Canadian customers or companies, correct?
So since I'm from the U.S. I can simply accept only U.S. customers.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I've read around the forums about freelance working while on a visitor visa in Canada.

I just wanted to confirm:
It's possible to do freelance work while I'm in Canada, as long as I'm not taking any work from any Canadian customers or companies, correct?
So since I'm from the U.S. I can simply accept only U.S. customers.
In that case yes, you can freelance as long as all of your work is for companies / customers outside of Canada.

The way you phrased your question made it seem like you wanted to freelance in Canada / for customers & companies in Canada.

Naomi.

Star Member
Jan 26, 2019
In that case yes, you can freelance as long as all of your work is for companies / customers outside of Canada.

The way you phrased your question made it seem like you wanted to freelance in Canada / for customers & companies in Canada.
Sorry for any confusion.
Initially, I wanted to freelance in Canada, but after learning that it was illegal, I rephrased my question to freelance outside of Canada.

Thank you so much for the help!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sorry for any confusion.
Initially, I wanted to freelance in Canada, but after learning that it was illegal, I rephrased my question to freelance outside of Canada.

Thank you so much for the help!
The company you work for also can't have any Canadian offices, customers, connections, etc.

Reactions: Naomi.