+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

U.S. Citizen frustrated with getting jobs due to LMO processing time

Calgary59

Jun 18, 2010
I am a U.S. citizen who has been working as a Key Accounts Manager in the states for over 5 years. I recently moved to Calgary, Alberta and quite my job in Denver, to live with my girlfriend, who is a Canadian citizen. I am in Calgary on a Visitor Visa looking for jobs. Through my own research, I have found the quickest way to obtain a work visa, is to apply for an LMO (pending job offer) in order to obtain a Social Insurance Number.

My biggest issue right now, is that I have been receiving job offers in the Calgary area, but they have been rescinded due to the processing time of an LMO. Most companies look to hire immediately, and cannot wait weeks for processing an LMO application.

Since I do not have a SIN, I am trying to found out the best and quickest means of joining the work force here in Calgary. My funds are running low, and I am desperately needing to find a job within a couple months. As I write this, I have another job interested in my skills, but they may pass on me due to the complications of processing an LMO. Needless to say, this is very frustrating.

I would appreciate any feedback anyone could give me.

Thank you.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
LMO and SIN have nothing to do with each other, You can get a SIN on the spot at a Service Canada office; that is not an employment barrier.

The LMO is a different matter, and yes, it can put off a lot of employers, esp. for lower skilled, entry-level jobs. (For higher skilled jobs, the hiring process is usually longer anyway, and is not as much of a a barrier.) To get an LMO, an employer has to prove they tried to hire a Canadian and could not. In your occupation, this may be difficult.

Sorry to say, it may be difficult for you... how long have you been living together?

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jes_ON said:
LMO and SIN have nothing to do with each other, You can get a SIN on the spot at a Service Canada office; that is not an employment barrier.

The LMO is a different matter, and yes, it can put off a lot of employers, esp. for lower skilled, entry-level jobs. (For higher skilled jobs, the hiring process is usually longer anyway, and is not as much of a a barrier.) To get an LMO, an employer has to prove they tried to hire a Canadian and could not. In your occupation, this may be difficult.

Sorry to say, it may be difficult for you... how long have you been living together?
As an US citizen it is illegal to work in Canada without a work permit, right?

That is why a non PR/citizen needs an LMO, right?
LMO equates to getting a work permit, right?
Once you have a work permit you can then get a SIN, right? How else does one get a SIN? I've gone to Service Canada, they do NOT give SIN just for the asking.

So an LMO has a lot to do with getting a SIN, or can a US citizen get a work permit with first getting a work permit?

How does a US citizen that is not a PR, get a SIN?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
sogwap said:

Once you have a work permit you can then get a SIN, right? How else does one get a SIN? I've gone to Service Canada, they do NOT give SIN just for the asking.

So an LMO has a lot to do with getting a SIN, or can a US citizen get a work permit with first getting a work permit?

You have to either be PR or on a WP to apply for a SIN. A US citizen can not get SIN without WP.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Ok - the OP said that the biggest barrier to employment was the lack of a SIN. Not true. The biggest barrier is the lack of a work permit. You can absolutely get a work permit without having a SIN.

dmlopez62

Dec 8, 2009
As mentioned above, if you qualify through Nafta, you are exempt from having to apply for LMO. I also am a US Citizen working here in Saskatchewan. My occupation landed under Industrial Design (NAFTA) list of occupations, and all I needed to show at the border (or by mail) is my offer letter of employment, diploma, and reference letters. They in turn gave me a two year work permit.

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dmlopez62 said:
As mentioned above, if you qualify through Nafta, you are exempt from having to apply for LMO. I also am a US Citizen working here in Saskatchewan. My occupation landed under Industrial Design (NAFTA) list of occupations, and all I needed to show at the border (or by mail) is my offer letter of employment, diploma, and reference letters. They in turn gave me a two year work permit.
Isn't this a bit of a catch-22 situation.

Most employers ask if you are authorized to work in Canada.
As a US citizen who wants to work and immigrate to Canada, you have be offered the job first, (either through the NAFTA agreement or the more difficult process of the employer securing an LMO). Which then can result in a work permit.
Up until that time you are not legal. If your profession falls under NAFTA, you can get a work permit after you are given a job offer with a letter of employment.

As a US citizen (that is not a PR, and does not have a work permit), How do you answer the question: "Are you authorized to work in Canada?"

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
dmlopez62 said:
The list of occupations exempt by NAFTA is very limited. (see p. 151-153,
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/fw/fw01-eng.pdf

The OP has already indicated the occupation as "Key Accounts Manager", not an exempt occupation.

Calgary59

Jun 18, 2010
jes_ON said:
Ok - the OP said that the biggest barrier to employment was the lack of a SIN. Not true. The biggest barrier is the lack of a work permit. You can absolutely get a work permit without having a SIN.
This is true...but you need a work permit in order to obtain a SIN. An employer cannot pay you (legally) unless one has a SIN.

Calgary59

Jun 18, 2010
sogwap said:

Thanks for all the feedback. It is pretty dis-heartening to have job offers, only to have them pulled because they have to wait for a positive LMO from the government. Even jobs that I am overqualified for!

My job title is not listed under the exemptions for NAFTA. It sounds like I'm going to either have to try and find a job that will wait for the LMO application process, or my girlfriend and I can just get married....which actually sounds like the path of least resistance.

From my understanding, once married the wait time is approximately 2 months for a PR? From then on I can easily work any job without the hassle of further application processes?

Thnx

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Calgary59 said:
This is true...but you need a work permit in order to obtain a SIN. An employer cannot pay you (legally) unless one has a SIN.
An employer cannot pay you legally without a work permit :) True, a SIN is required, but it is easy to get if you have the authorization (work permit). You can begin working before you have the SIN. (Just can't get paid until you have the SIN).

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Calgary59 said:
From my understanding, once married the wait time is approximately 2 months for a PR? From then on I can easily work any job without the hassle of further application processes?
Marriage is the fastest way to go.
Even with everything in order two months is highly unlikely. The FBI report alone will take at least two months.
The PR process for Outland through buffalo takes a minimum of 3 months. 50% of cases are finalized in 6 months.