+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tuition Tax Credit

maximms

Mar 23, 2019
Hello,

I paid part of my university tuition fees in late 2018 ("place reservation fee"). The studies will only begin in May 2019. In addition, the university is located abroad (TL11A form will be filled out).

In which tax year should such a tuition tax credit be claimed: 2018 - year of actual payment; or 2019 - actual study period.

That is what I found at the CRA website:

Reporting period
Fill out Form TL11A, TL11C, or TL11D to report information for a calendar year, from January 1 to December 31. Report eligible tuition fees paid and (except for the TL11D) the number of eligible months that a qualifying student was enrolled during the calendar year shown on the form, even if the fees for those courses were paid before (or possibly after) that calendar year. Do not enter unpaid tuition fees on these forms.

Any thoughts from experienced accountants? Thanks a lot!

ctcrahul

Sep 26, 2018
Hello,

I paid part of my university tuition fees in late 2018 ("place reservation fee"). The studies will only begin in May 2019. In addition, the university is located abroad (TL11A form will be filled out).

In which tax year should such a tuition tax credit be claimed: 2018 - year of actual payment; or 2019 - actual study period.

That is what I found at the CRA website:

Reporting period
Fill out Form TL11A, TL11C, or TL11D to report information for a calendar year, from January 1 to December 31. Report eligible tuition fees paid and (except for the TL11D) the number of eligible months that a qualifying student was enrolled during the calendar year shown on the form, even if the fees for those courses were paid before (or possibly after) that calendar year. Do not enter unpaid tuition fees on these forms.

Any thoughts from experienced accountants? Thanks a lot!
Hello, I am wondering how did you go about it? I am in a similar situation and seeking some help in filling T11 forms. Does private MBA school like "Indian School of Business" qualify? Any help is greatly appreciated.