+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV partner accompanied by PR spouse

GoodTravaler

Jan 23, 2024
Hi all, My spouse has received her TRV before we got married. I wonder if there any complications with her traveling on TRV to canada after marriage. Because it would be obvious that we are going to apply the inland sponsorship application and she might be denied entry because of the intent to stay? Has anyone had a similar situation?

Appreciate any information!

Master5678

Star Member
May 11, 2023
Hi all, My spouse has received her TRV before we got married. I wonder if there any complications with her traveling on TRV to canada after marriage. Because it would be obvious that we are going to apply the inland sponsorship application and she might be denied entry because of the intent to stay? Has anyone had a similar situation?

We did this. No issues at immigration. CBSA agent just asked who she was visiting and she said the truth and they waved her through. No other questions asked.

GoodTravaler

Jan 23, 2024
We did this. No issues at immigration. CBSA agent just asked who she was visiting and she said the truth and they waved her through. No other questions asked.
Thank you for the reply!
I wonder when was it and if the use of self kiosks were already at the airport?
Did she say she was visiting you? and did she mention that she will be applying for inland spousal sponsorship program?

Master5678

Star Member
May 11, 2023
Thank you for the reply!
I wonder when was it and if the use of self kiosks were already at the airport?
Did she say she was visiting you? and did she mention that she will be applying for inland spousal sponsorship program?
This was this past September. The self kiosks were there but there was still a final check with a CBSA officer. She said visiting me. Nope didn't mention anything about inland. Never tell them more than what they ask for and keep ur answers short. And of course never lie

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

There is never guarantee of entry. Would ensure she brings a suitcase as if she is a visitor not moving to Canada permanently.

colgate1

Star Member
Jul 1, 2023
Make sure she has a return ticket. Since this is a tourist visa, she may not be allowed to fly without a valid return ticket.

Both of you can line up in pr/citizeship line. Since you have a PR, you wont go thru the visitors process. CBSA fella will ask her how long she is gonna stay and any return ticket. Thats all. Just be honest as you mentioned the duration of the stay in the declaration form that's all.

There will be another two CBSA agents waiting for you where you will hand in the declaration form. They will look at how long she is gonna stay and perhaps ask the same question. Just smile, tell the truth and move on.

Good luck.

GoodTravaler

Jan 23, 2024
Make sure she has a return ticket. Since this is a tourist visa, she may not be allowed to fly without a valid return ticket.

Both of you can line up in pr/citizeship line. Since you have a PR, you wont go thru the visitors process. CBSA fella will ask her how long she is gonna stay and any return ticket. Thats all. Just be honest as you mentioned the duration of the stay in the declaration form that's all.

There will be another two CBSA agents waiting for you where you will hand in the declaration form. They will look at how long she is gonna stay and perhaps ask the same question. Just smile, tell the truth and move on.

Good luck.
Thank you for your response!
I do have a follow up question: We are planning to travel to Toronto first (her sister lives there, that is how she got the TRV, based on the invite from the sister). The intent is to indeed visit the sister and spend a couple of days there and only then move to another city, where I reside permanently and then apply for the sponsorship. I wonder if that falls under the "Dual Intent" or possible misrepresentation?
As far as I know CBSA officers don't record in the system the actual intent of the visit? A visit is a visit, right?

autoscriptor

Star Member
Jul 5, 2009
Our situation was somewhat similar. My wife entered Canada alone on a TRV. Here is what I recommend to avoid issues with immigration:
  1. Book a return ticket. You can book a fully refundable return ticket and once in Canada you can refund the return leg
  2. Back her luggage for visiting and not for staying. Don’t bring any diplomas, resumes, letters of recommendation, or anything that could indicate intent for work
  3. Be honest and be honest with yourself. Make a truthful plan in case her application got denied (not returned). Make a solid plan in case they ask whether she intends to apply for PR or not. Something like the following is a good response. However, always keep it short. The following is long and only there for you to pick short answers from: We are considering applying for PR during this visit however, this is not my wife’s intend for this visit. Her intend is to visit me and her sister. Then get the feeling of living in Canada and see if this will encourage us to apply inland instead of her going back and apply Outland.
  4. Have a touristic itinerary ready. Make it real. If that’s her first time in Canada and you live in the TGA make a plan to visit places like Niagra falls, the CN Tower, Younge-Dundad sq, The Royal Ontario Museum, Ripley’s Aq, etc. make dates within the limits of her length of stay.
My wife entered with the intend of applying inland. We applied and her application was returned twice. She got bored because she couldn’t work and then decided to leave and we applied Outland. Ironic.

Good luck

Thank you for your response!
I do have a follow up question: We are planning to travel to Toronto first (her sister lives there, that is how she got the TRV, based on the invite from the sister). The intent is to indeed visit the sister and spend a couple of days there and only then move to another city, where I reside permanently and then apply for the sponsorship. I wonder if that falls under the "Dual Intent" or possible misrepresentation?
As far as I know CBSA officers don't record in the system the actual intent of the visit? A visit is a visit, right?

Reactions: Master5678

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Our situation was somewhat similar. My wife entered Canada alone on a TRV. Here is what I recommend to avoid issues with immigration:
  1. Book a return ticket. You can book a fully refundable return ticket and once in Canada you can refund the return leg
  2. Back her luggage for visiting and not for staying. Don’t bring any diplomas, resumes, letters of recommendation, or anything that could indicate intent for work
  3. Be honest and be honest with yourself. Make a truthful plan in case her application got denied (not returned). Make a solid plan in case they ask whether she intends to apply for PR or not. Something like the following is a good response. However, always keep it short. The following is long and only there for you to pick short answers from: We are considering applying for PR during this visit however, this is not my wife’s intend for this visit. Her intend is to visit me and her sister. Then get the feeling of living in Canada and see if this will encourage us to apply inland instead of her going back and apply Outland.
  4. Have a touristic itinerary ready. Make it real. If that’s her first time in Canada and you live in the TGA make a plan to visit places like Niagra falls, the CN Tower, Younge-Dundad sq, The Royal Ontario Museum, Ripley’s Aq, etc. make dates within the limits of her length of stay.
My wife entered with the intend of applying inland. We applied and her application was returned twice. She got bored because she couldn’t work and then decided to leave and we applied Outland. Ironic.

Good luck
Question(s) for you: what actually happened at the port of entry (airport)?
1. Did they ask to see the return ticket? (It's my guess that in modern world, this is less of an issue. So easy to book one-way trips or travel on to other countries that I no longe rthink of this as a reliable indicator. Perhaps it is coming from some countries where airline sector more regulated and tickets very expensive). As an example, for anyone who also can travel to USA (has visa or esta), easy to just say you're going to fly to new york or chicage next. Tickets usually bought online and short time before.

2. Did they actually check her luggage or belongings in any way? While I don't think these things are needed much these days in physical form, I'd remind that most of the time, the passport control/secondary immigration are separate from customs. That said, yep: don't bring all of your personal belogings. Pack like it's a visit.

But good input and htanks for sharing.

autoscriptor

Star Member
Jul 5, 2009
Question(s) for you: what actually happened at the port of entry (airport)?
1. Did they ask to see the return ticket? (It's my guess that in modern world, this is less of an issue. So easy to book one-way trips or travel on to other countries that I no longe rthink of this as a reliable indicator. Perhaps it is coming from some countries where airline sector more regulated and tickets very expensive). As an example, for anyone who also can travel to USA (has visa or esta), easy to just say you're going to fly to new york or chicage next. Tickets usually bought online and short time before.

2. Did they actually check her luggage or belongings in any way? While I don't think these things are needed much these days in physical form, I'd remind that most of the time, the passport control/secondary immigration are separate from customs. That said, yep: don't bring all of your personal belogings. Pack like it's a visit.

But good input and htanks for sharing.
  1. Questions were straightforward at the port of entry, and answers were brief. +"Who are are you visiting?" -"Visiting my brother" +"What do you do back home?" -"I work as an elementary school teacher." My wife is well-traveled, and she visited Canada several times prior to the trip on which we decided to apply. So I think that was a factor. I was not in Canada at the time of her entry. Her first point of stay was really her brother until I returned from a short travel. Her brother was waiting outside to pick her up. She decided to answer this way and didn't even bring our relationship up. It was not the best answer but this is what she did. We didn't really discuss it before she left.
  2. She picked up her luggage and went straight outside past customs. Most people do anyway. The guidelines and recommendations I stated are for when more questions are being asked. But most of the time, people will have a smooth border experience.
Good luck to everyone

Reactions: armoured