+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV for Wife and Son holding Philippine Passport from Saudi Arabia

Jsantos69

Aug 18, 2021
I'm a Canadian citizen working and residing with my wife and son in Saudi Arabia. My wife and 3 year old son holds a Philippine Passport and an Iqama (Saudi Resident Visa).
They have never visited Canada and have spent the past 2 years living with me here in KSA. As an expat, my contract states that my whole family is eligible to fly to Canada for our yearly vacation (Airfare and allowance included). My parents and siblings (all canadian citizens) still reside in Canada. Due to covid, we have not been able to leave Saudi ever since we moved here. My wife does not work here as both her and my son are under a family sponsorship. I make a decent living as a manager for an oil & gas company. Our company's head office is in Canada, where I worked for 7 years before being asked to transfer here in Saudi. They offered to bring my family with me and provide us with a house, vehicle and other expenses/allowances.
I have recently been given permission (through my work) to fly back to Canada to reunite with my family there (Mom, Dad, Sisters). Obviously my wife and son needs to come with me on this trip. I've contacted the Canadian Embassy in Riyadh and was instructed to have my wife apply for a TRV. While for my son, I was adviced to contact the Consulate office. We did both, but the Consulate never responded on my inquiry. Instead of putting everything on hold while waiting for the consulate to respond, I ended up applying a TRV for my 3 year old son as well. The visa department in the embassy also instructed me to inform them once my wife have filed her application so that they can assist us further. The HR from our main office in Canada issued an invitation letter for my entire family. In the letter she stated Why my family is in Saudi, my position within the company, my salary and that expenses, including medical insurance, for this trip will be provided by my company. The TRV's was submitted on Aug 11. My wife had her Biometrics taken on August 15 as per IRCC request. Right after the TRV Applcation submition, I replied to the email informing the embassy that my wife has indeed submitted her application (including my son). The embassy responded on August 16 asking for my wife and son's application number so that they can assist us further. I replied with the requested information immediately. As of today we are waiting for the next response. I'm really hoping they can get approved for a multiple entry visa as going through this application process is really taxing.
Any advice, stories, suggestions is welcomed.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm a Canadian citizen working and residing with my wife and son in Saudi Arabia. My wife and 3 year old son holds a Philippine Passport and an Iqama (Saudi Resident Visa).
They have never visited Canada and have spent the past 2 years living with me here in KSA. As an expat, my contract states that my whole family is eligible to fly to Canada for our yearly vacation (Airfare and allowance included). My parents and siblings (all canadian citizens) still reside in Canada. Due to covid, we have not been able to leave Saudi ever since we moved here. My wife does not work here as both her and my son are under a family sponsorship. I make a decent living as a manager for an oil & gas company. Our company's head office is in Canada, where I worked for 7 years before being asked to transfer here in Saudi. They offered to bring my family with me and provide us with a house, vehicle and other expenses/allowances.
I have recently been given permission (through my work) to fly back to Canada to reunite with my family there (Mom, Dad, Sisters). Obviously my wife and son needs to come with me on this trip. I've contacted the Canadian Embassy in Riyadh and was instructed to have my wife apply for a TRV. While for my son, I was adviced to contact the Consulate office. We did both, but the Consulate never responded on my inquiry. Instead of putting everything on hold while waiting for the consulate to respond, I ended up applying a TRV for my 3 year old son as well. The visa department in the embassy also instructed me to inform them once my wife have filed her application so that they can assist us further. The HR from our main office in Canada issued an invitation letter for my entire family. In the letter she stated Why my family is in Saudi, my position within the company, my salary and that expenses, including medical insurance, for this trip will be provided by my company. The TRV's was submitted on Aug 11. My wife had her Biometrics taken on August 15 as per IRCC request. Right after the TRV Applcation submition, I replied to the email informing the embassy that my wife has indeed submitted her application (including my son). The embassy responded on August 16 asking for my wife and son's application number so that they can assist us further. I replied with the requested information immediately. As of today we are waiting for the next response. I'm really hoping they can get approved for a multiple entry visa as going through this application process is really taxing.
Any advice, stories, suggestions is welcomed.
Assuming you were born in Canada, your son is a Canadian citizen. If he's a citizen, he doesn't qualify for a TRV. You need to apply for Proof of Citizenship for him: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/proof-citizenship.html And then you would need to get a Canadian passport for him. There is some chance the TRV may still be approved if IRCC doesn't figure out your son is probably already a citizen. However I would be prepared for the possibility the TRV could also be refused.

Alternatively, if you do not think your son is a Canadian citizen (based on how you acquired your citizenship or based on when he was born vs. when you acquired your citizenship), then a TRV was the right thing to apply for in order to travel to Canada.

Consulates are currently completely swamped with requests due to COVID so I expect this is why you haven't heard back yet.

Processing times for TRVs out of the Philippines are around 2.5 - 3 months right now, although always some possibility they will hear back sooner on a decision.

Too bad you didn't find this forum earlier. We could have help you with determining the right applications to submit.

Reactions: Naturgrl