+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling while implied status? +more

RyanD91

Star Member
Apr 14, 2019
Hello everyone, I am currently living in Canada on implied status while I wait for my permanent residence sponsorship to go through.

I am a 29 yr old American self employed male working in ecommerce shipping products to other countries (mostly USA) applying to be sponsored by my wife 9 who is a Canadian PR). Its been 3 months since we sent our application in. (Originally we sent in Dec 2020 but there were some signature errors so we fixed and sent it back)

I have been in Canada as a temporary resident since 2013. First study permit, then open work permit, then visitor permit. Visitor permit expired this June, but we sent my PR application in before it expired, putting me on implied status as a visitor until a decision has been made about my application for PR.

What I want to know is- Am I able to travel to USA and come back to Canada in my situation? (for the record I am fully vaccinated and I am an American citizen/ Temporary resident in Canada)

Also, when I applied for PR sponsorship I included an application for a work permit but the set expiration date was October 2021 (since thats when my passport expired) and I also sent in an app for another visitor visa to be extra protected in case my PR package got sent back or for some reason got lost in the mail but that is also set to expire in October 2021 (old passport)- The most likely scenario is both the work and visitor permits will "expire" before a decision is even made on them.

I have since renewed my US passport for the next 10 yrs and am wondering if there is any way to change the details on the expiration date of either of these pending visas since my current passport doesnt expire next month? Or would I need to wait for them to "expire" and apply for new visa? or do I need to wait for an answer and apply for a new visa? Really confused on what to do in this situation, but dont want to be out of status for any reason in case something is again wrong with my PR package.

So in short:

1. Can I travel to USA from Canada (and come back to Canada) as a fully vaccinated US citizen on implied status? What extra steps do I need to take if I can travel while under implied status in Canada?

2. Can I amend my visa applications expiration dates or do I need to submit a new one? If I need to submit a new one, when and how do I do this. If I can amend them, how also do I do this?

All help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone, I am currently living in Canada on implied status while I wait for my permanent residence sponsorship to go through.

I am a 29 yr old American self employed male working in ecommerce shipping products to other countries (mostly USA) applying to be sponsored by my wife 9 who is a Canadian PR). Its been 3 months since we sent our application in. (Originally we sent in Dec 2020 but there were some signature errors so we fixed and sent it back)

I have been in Canada as a temporary resident since 2013. First study permit, then open work permit, then visitor permit. Visitor permit expired this June, but we sent my PR application in before it expired, putting me on implied status as a visitor until a decision has been made about my application for PR.

What I want to know is- Am I able to travel to USA and come back to Canada in my situation? (for the record I am fully vaccinated and I am an American citizen/ Temporary resident in Canada)

Also, when I applied for PR sponsorship I included an application for a work permit but the set expiration date was October 2021 (since thats when my passport expired) and I also sent in an app for another visitor visa to be extra protected in case my PR package got sent back or for some reason got lost in the mail but that is also set to expire in October 2021 (old passport)- The most likely scenario is both the work and visitor permits will "expire" before a decision is even made on them.

I have since renewed my US passport for the next 10 yrs and am wondering if there is any way to change the details on the expiration date of either of these pending visas since my current passport doesnt expire next month? Or would I need to wait for them to "expire" and apply for new visa? or do I need to wait for an answer and apply for a new visa? Really confused on what to do in this situation, but dont want to be out of status for any reason in case something is again wrong with my PR package.

So in short:

1. Can I travel to USA from Canada (and come back to Canada) as a fully vaccinated US citizen on implied status? What extra steps do I need to take if I can travel while under implied status in Canada?

2. Can I amend my visa applications expiration dates or do I need to submit a new one? If I need to submit a new one, when and how do I do this. If I can amend them, how also do I do this?

All help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
1. You only maintain implied status if you remain in Canada. You are free to travel to the US but you will lose implied status if you leave Canada. When you re-enter Canada, CBSA will assess you as a new visitor. Chances are very high that you would be allowed back into Canada without issues. But that's not a 100% guarantee.
2. Did you send a visitor visa extension application? If so, that also becomes null and void if you leave Canada.

RyanD91

Star Member
Apr 14, 2019
1. You only maintain implied status if you remain in Canada. You are free to travel to the US but you will lose implied status if you leave Canada. When you re-enter Canada, CBSA will assess you as a new visitor. Chances are very high that you would be allowed back into Canada without issues. But that's not a 100% guarantee.
2. Did you send a visitor visa extension application? If so, that also becomes null and void if you leave Canada.
Ok, so long story short I shouldnt travel outside of Canada until I get a new visa unless emergency.

I have applied for a new visitor visa as well as a new work permit but both are set to "expire" next month because that is when my old passport was set to expire. Mind you, they havent even been approved or denied yet, that is just the date they were set to expire had they been approved in theory. I have since acquired a new passport and would like to make sure that I have a visa that is good until my PR is approved.

How would you recommend doing this? thanks

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Ok, so long story short I shouldnt travel outside of Canada until I get a new visa unless emergency.
Not really. If you have a legitimate issue to travel outside of Canada, it should be fine.

I have applied for a new visitor visa as well as a new work permit but both are set to "expire" next month because that is when my old passport was set to expire. Mind you, they havent even been approved or denied yet, that is just the date they were set to expire had they been approved in theory. I have since acquired a new passport and would like to make sure that I have a visa that is good until my PR is approved.

How would you recommend doing this? thanks
Not sure I understand what your issue is? All you have to do is submit your new passport when your visa/WP is approved.

RyanD91

Star Member
Apr 14, 2019
Not really. If you have a legitimate issue to travel outside of Canada, it should be fine.

Not sure I understand what your issue is? All you have to do is submit your new passport when your visa/WP is approved.
I am confused how and when I need to apply to extend my visa based on my new passport.

The issue is the pending visas will both "expire" before they are even processed.