+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

travelling to Canada with US Green Card

andygt

Jul 7, 2008
Hi All, I am a Canadian citizen and have a US Green Card. I am planning on visiting my family at the end of the month in Canada.

My Canadian passport has expired, is there anything I need bring when crossing back and forth between Canada and the US besides my green card?

Thanks.

andygt

Jul 7, 2008
Hello again. Just wondering if anyone has any information about my questions that can help.

Thank you.

GK

Dec 18, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
If you travel by air you will need your passport. If you travel by land in your own car and have other proof of your canadian citizenship you should be okay going into Canada, but you may have problems getting back to the US

KayCee2

Star Member
Jul 10, 2008
The US now requires Passports for all coming into the country...

"....The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) is a U.S. law requiring all travellers, including Canadians, to carry a passport or other appropriate secure documentation when travelling to the United States...."

"...As of January 31, 2008, the WHTI requires Canadian citizens entering the United States by land or sea to present:

* a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver's licence AND a birth certificate or a citizenship card; or
* a valid Canadian passport; or
* a NEXUS card; or
* a Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card; or
* an enhanced driver's licence; or
* a Certificate of Indian Status card; or
* for youth 18 and under, a proof of citizenship only (such as a birth certificate).

As of June 1, 2009, Canadian citizens will be required to present one of the following documents when travelling to, through or from the United States by land or sea:

* a valid passport; or
* a NEXUS card; or
* a Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card; or
* an enhanced driver’s licence (EDL) (in provinces and territories where U.S.-approved EDL programs are implemented).

Canadian citizens 15 years of age and under will only require proof of citizenship, such as an original or a copy of a birth certificate, or a Canadian citizenship card. Canadian citizens 18 years of age and under who are travelling with a school or other organized group, under adult supervision with parental/guardian consent, may also present proof of citizenship alone...."

source: http://www.voyage.gc.ca/main/sos/ci/cur-en.asp?txt_ID=852