+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling from India to buffalo by plane and then crossing the border by foot, PR holder

lovedeepsingh

Oct 15, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
IELTS Request
25-12-2013
Med's Done....
30-1-2014
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2014
LANDED..........
2 Aug 2014
Hello,
I read about the loopholes to beat the mandatory hotel quarantine in Canada if you cross the border by land. I was planning to(nothing booked or planned yet, just a thought) fly from toronto to new delhi and then from new delhi to usa for return , cross the border by foot.
First of all is it allowed?
Would i need to Quarantine in USA to meet the requirements?
If not, would the covid test from India would be honoured at the Buffalo/Canada border or i have to present another covid test taken in USA?

starlordavuthu

Apr 13, 2020
Hello,
I read about the loopholes to beat the mandatory hotel quarantine in Canada if you cross the border by land. I was planning to(nothing booked or planned yet, just a thought) fly from toronto to new delhi and then from new delhi to usa for return , cross the border by foot.
First of all is it allowed?
Would i need to Quarantine in USA to meet the requirements?
If not, would the covid test from India would be honoured at the Buffalo/Canada border or i have to present another covid test taken in USA?
I would advice not to take inspiration from movies or any other unverified source of information. It doesnt matter how you cross the border you will be subjected to same set of rules. You dont have to quarantine in United States as long as you have valid negative Covid result and your test result should be from last 72 hours so timing is extremely important. Most likely you will have to take another Covid test in US.

Last edited:
Reactions: captainarabiia

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
Dont do all that. Its technically allowed, but you are adding so many variables to this. At any stage, if something goes wrong (positive test, angry US or Canadian border agent), you will pay heavily. How will you get from border to your home? 1 way car rentals are expensive, so are taxis/uber.

Hotels for quarantine are not that expensive. Its not $2000, more like $900 and you might get a refund if your test comes back and you leave on day 1 instead of waiting till day 3.

lovedeepsingh

Oct 15, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
IELTS Request
25-12-2013
Med's Done....
30-1-2014
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2014
LANDED..........
2 Aug 2014
Dont do all that. Its technically allowed, but you are adding so many variables to this. At any stage, if something goes wrong (positive test, angry US or Canadian border agent), you will pay heavily. How will you get from border to your home? 1 way car rentals are expensive, so are taxis/uber.

Hotels for quarantine are not that expensive. Its not $2000, more like $900 and you might get a refund if your test comes back and you leave on day 1 instead of waiting till day 3.
Yes thats true, i live in Niagara falls so going home is not an issue.
Yes, its not really $2000, if me and my gf travel together then can we take the same room or it has to be 2 rooms?
Thanks

lovedeepsingh

Oct 15, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
IELTS Request
25-12-2013
Med's Done....
30-1-2014
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2014
LANDED..........
2 Aug 2014
I would advice not to take inspiration from movies or any other unverified source of information. It doesnt matter how you cross the border you will be subjected to same set of rules. You dont have to quarantine in United States as long as you have valid negative Covid result and your test result should be from last 72 hours so timing is extremely important. Most likely you will have to take another Covid test in US.
Rules for crossing by the land are different than air travel though.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The big issue is that you are unlikely going to be able to use your 1st PCR test to enter Canada. Just getting a PCR test during 72 hours is tough. You would then have to pay for a PCR test in the US and a hotel while you wait for the test.

lovedeepsingh

Oct 15, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
IELTS Request
25-12-2013
Med's Done....
30-1-2014
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2014
LANDED..........
2 Aug 2014
The big issue is that you are unlikely going to be able to use your 1st PCR test to enter Canada. Just getting a PCR test during 72 hours is tough. You would then have to pay for a PCR test in the US and a hotel while you wait for the test.
Is it because they will need Covid test done in USA?