+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling outside Canada while PR in process

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
Hi all, I'm. Hoping to get a bit of clarification on a small issue here.

My husband has just received approval for his OWP, good for 2 years. We are currently in process with our Spousal Sponsorship for his PR, application for that was received October 2018.

My question here would be: Is he allowed to leave Canada since he received his OWP? We have a few possible trips coming up soon, and I want to make sure the inland PR application won't be affected.

If it's not a good idea for him to travel outside of Canada, are there any ETAs that we can apply for?

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Spouses doing inland sponsorship are supposed to remain in Canada until they receive PR. Short trip seems to be tolerated by CIC but no guarantee your spouse will be allowed back into Canada. Usually they are but the decision is ultimately made at POE. Would discourage multiple trips.

Reactions: Qwertypod

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all, I'm. Hoping to get a bit of clarification on a small issue here.

My husband has just received approval for his OWP, good for 2 years. We are currently in process with our Spousal Sponsorship for his PR, application for that was received October 2018.

My question here would be: Is he allowed to leave Canada since he received his OWP? We have a few possible trips coming up soon, and I want to make sure the inland PR application won't be affected.

If it's not a good idea for him to travel outside of Canada, are there any ETAs that we can apply for?

Thanks!
He is allowed to leave whenever he wants. However, if he is refused re-entry, the inland app is abandoned. While this very rarely happens, he is never 100% guaranteed to be allowed back in.

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
He is allowed to leave whenever he wants. However, if he is refused re-entry, the inland app is abandoned. While this very rarely happens, he is never 100% guaranteed to be allowed back in.
Thank you for your reply. Do you happen to know some of the reasons he might be refused re-entry, or is this purely because he's on implied status waiting for PR?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for your reply. Do you happen to know some of the reasons he might be refused re-entry, or is this purely because he's on implied status waiting for PR?
He isn't on Implied Status. He has status as a worker. There are no specific reasons because as I said, it is rare.