+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling in order to be processed

AlbaNuadh

Star Member
Oct 18, 2016
Hi all,

I hope someone can help me.

I am a Canadian citizen and my husband recently got his visa. We are currently both living outside of Canada and we have been given until September to land in Canada. We think this might be a little tight because we need to sell our house and settle things where we currently live first.
Someone on this forum mentioned before that we can travel to Canada, be processed through immigration and then officially move back at a time that is more convenient for us (only a few months longer).

I was just wondering if there are any problems with doing this or is it all 'kosher'? I don't want to jeopardise his visa in order to save a few months if it is something that is frowned upon.

Should we be honest with the immigration officer and tell them that we are just there to be processed (and to see my family) and will be moving over at a later date?

I've been advised by people to do this and my husband is keen but I am a little nervous in case it come across as deceitful.

Thanks for your help.

Investocrat

Star Member
Jun 4, 2017
Winnipeg
I assume your husband got a permanent residency visa? As far as I know there is nothing wrong with you guys coming into Canada to process your husbands papers and leaving shortly afterwards before returning finally a couple months later. I know a lot of people who have done the same thing due to having to sort issues like selling a house, leaving a job, etc and try have had no problems with immigration.

AlbaNuadh

Star Member
Oct 18, 2016
Thanks investocrat. You are right, he did get permanent residency.
It makes me feel better that you know people who have done something similar.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just a reminder that no problem doing a soft landing but be aware that when you eventually come back for good your husband will either need his PR card or a PRTD if boarding a plane. IRCC will not mail PR cards outside of Canada so you will need an address for it to be mailed to and forwarded by family/ friends.

Reactions: AlbaNuadh

AlbaNuadh

Star Member
Oct 18, 2016
Just a reminder that no problem doing a soft landing but be aware that when you eventually come back for good your husband will either need his PR card or a PRTD if boarding a plane. IRCC will not mail PR cards outside of Canada so you will need an address for it to be mailed to and forwarded by family/ friends.
Thank you, I didn't realise this. It shouldn't be a problem for my family to send it to us. So I assume this is something that is issued after landing?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thank you, I didn't realise this. It shouldn't be a problem for my family to send it to us. So I assume this is something that is issued after landing?
When your husband completes his PR landing the officer will ask for a Canadian address for the PR card to be sent to about 60 days or so later. Your friends or relatives can then mail or courier the card to your husband.

AlbaNuadh

Star Member
Oct 18, 2016
When your husband completes his PR landing the officer will ask for a Canadian address for the PR card to be sent to about 60 days or so later. Your friends or relatives can then mail or courier the card to your husband.
Thank you for the advice!

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
As you are a Canadian citizen, you do not need to be processed by immigration other than to verify your citizenship. Your husband would have to go through the landing procedure, but it is nothing major if his documents are in order. Then you will have to go to customs, where you should be prepared to produce the appropriate list of goods and items you will be bringing with you when you move for good. If you don't have this list when you first come back, you might have a much harder time getting things in duty/tax free later. I am not certain, but there may be a different procedure for this for you compared to your husband as I am assuming you are a returning resident, while he is a first time immigrant? Actually, the procedure is probably very similar, but it depends on how long you have been abroad I think.

Its no problem for you to return abroad to live for awhile in order to settle your affairs. IRCC will not care. In fact, as long as your husband is living with you abroad that time will not count against him in regards to his PR "residency" obligation--although they would not count towards qualifying for Canadian citizenship.

AlbaNuadh

Star Member
Oct 18, 2016
As you are a Canadian citizen, you do not need to be processed by immigration other than to verify your citizenship. Your husband would have to go through the landing procedure, but it is nothing major if his documents are in order. Then you will have to go to customs, where you should be prepared to produce the appropriate list of goods and items you will be bringing with you when you move for good. If you don't have this list when you first come back, you might have a much harder time getting things in duty/tax free later. I am not certain, but there may be a different procedure for this for you compared to your husband as I am assuming you are a returning resident, while he is a first time immigrant? Actually, the procedure is probably very similar, but it depends on how long you have been abroad I think.

Its no problem for you to return abroad to live for awhile in order to settle your affairs. IRCC will not care. In fact, as long as your husband is living with you abroad that time will not count against him in regards to his PR "residency" obligation--although they would not count towards qualifying for Canadian citizenship.
Ok, so basically we need to treat it as if we were moving over. ie proof of what is in our bank accounts and what we will be shipping over when we do eventually arrive?
You are right, I am a Canadian citizen but I have been living abroad for 16 years.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Ok, so basically we need to treat it as if we were moving over. ie proof of what is in our bank accounts and what we will be shipping over when we do eventually arrive?
You are right, I am a Canadian citizen but I have been living abroad for 16 years.
Yes, your husband would need proof of funds, sponsorship, etc. whatever is required for his immigration class. You should look into what is needed for customs purposes. It might be a little different for you, because I think you would be considered a "returning resident"for customs purposes whenever you finally move back, but your husband would be a first time immigrant who may be considered to have established residency when he lands. I am not sure how it works specifically in your situation, but you should look into what is needed in order to minimize tax/duty consequences.

AlbaNuadh

Star Member
Oct 18, 2016
Yes, your husband would need proof of funds, sponsorship, etc. whatever is required for his immigration class. You should look into what is needed for customs purposes. It might be a little different for you, because I think you would be considered a "returning resident"for customs purposes whenever you finally move back, but your husband would be a first time immigrant who may be considered to have established residency when he lands. I am not sure how it works specifically in your situation, but you should look into what is needed in order to minimize tax/duty consequences.
Thank you for your advice!! You've been really helpful