+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel with work visa and COPR after landing and before receiving PR card

aabognah

Jun 17, 2017
Hi,
I am almost done with my PR process through Express Entry. I received my Conformation of Permanent Residency (COPR) and went the border at the rainbow bridge and got it signed. So now I am officially a landed Permanent Resident.
I haven't received my PR card yet (they said it will take 4 -6 weeks) and I need to travel for a couple of weeks. I used to have a work permit (was valid until Mar 2018) and I have a worker visa stamped in my passport also valid to that date. when I did the landing they toke the work permit but the did not sketch on or cancel my worker visa in the passport.

My question is: will I be able to travel before receiving my PR card? Is my worker visa still valid?

My concern is two points: will be able to board the plane coming back to Canada (I will call the airline to double check but anyone with the same experience please help). I will be traveling on Turkish Airlines.
second, it the signed COPR sufficient for admission to Canada?

Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
As you are now a landed PR you need either a PR card or a PRTD to board a plane for Canada any visas you previously held are no longer valid for travel.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi,
I am almost done with my PR process through Express Entry. I received my Conformation of Permanent Residency (COPR) and went the border at the rainbow bridge and got it signed. So now I am officially a landed Permanent Resident.
I haven't received my PR card yet (they said it will take 4 -6 weeks) and I need to travel for a couple of weeks. I used to have a work permit (was valid until Mar 2018) and I have a worker visa stamped in my passport also valid to that date. when I did the landing they toke the work permit but the did not sketch on or cancel my worker visa in the passport.

My question is: will I be able to travel before receiving my PR card? Is my worker visa still valid?

My concern is two points: will be able to board the plane coming back to Canada (I will call the airline to double check but anyone with the same experience please help). I will be traveling on Turkish Airlines.
second, it the signed COPR sufficient for admission to Canada?

Thanks
Some people have reported success in travelling on old visas in their passport, or old eTAs, obtained before becoming a PR. Technically they should be invalidated when you become a PR, but in reality IRCC may or may not actually void them.

Calling the airline probably won't be much help because regardless what they say 1 of 2 things will happen when you try to check into your return flight back to Canada:
1. They will see the visa with a still valid date, and allow you boarding
2. When they scan your passport they will see the visa is voided, and deny you boarding

You won't know until you try. The safer alternative, is to get a PR Travel Document in the country you're visiting, or to route your travel back to US and drive into Canada.