None
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
##-08-2027
LANDED..........
##-09-2027
Hello,

Does anyone have recent experience in this area. I have about 4 yrs of validity in my pr card but about 3 months on my Indian passport.

I have a need to fly to India urgently.

I gather I can fly to India without issues as the consulate generals website FAQ's do state this.

However was unable to confirm for my return trip to Canada if that will be allowed by the airline.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I suspect that it will depend on the airline.

If I had to guess, I would say that it will be problematic, since you are not a citizen of Canada with a Canadian passport. Even though you hold a valid PR Card, your passport is your travel document; your PR Card is your proof of status in Canada card.

Your PR Card will be used to enter Canada (CBSA Inspection), but your passport is what gets you on the plane to come to Canada.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Does anyone have recent experience in this area. I have about 4 yrs of validity in my pr card but about 3 months on my Indian passport.

I have a need to fly to India urgently.

I gather I can fly to India without issues as the consulate generals website FAQ's do state this.

However was unable to confirm for my return trip to Canada if that will be allowed by the airline.
No issue If your passport is still valid to enter Canada. Would look at any transit country and airline.

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Canada is one of the few countries that only requires 3 months of passport validity. However you would need to convince airlines and any transit airports. Recommend printing Canada website that states that 3 months rule.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Canada is one of the few countries that only requires 3 months of passport validity. However you would need to convince airlines and any transit airports. Recommend printing Canada website that states that 3 months rule.
Not a bad suggestion.

Note that I believe the 3-month validity rule does NOT apply to permanent residents, because they cannot be refused entry.

The trick though is that the airlines are not all equally knowledgeable about this. They can inquire through CBSA but ... well, it's extra work for them.

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Not a bad suggestion.

Note that I believe the 3-month validity rule does NOT apply to permanent residents, because they cannot be refused entry.

The trick though is that the airlines are not all equally knowledgeable about this. They can inquire through CBSA but ... well, it's extra work for them.
Validity of passport is still applicable regardless of pr status since no airlines would let one board without a valid passport.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Validity of passport is still applicable regardless of pr status since no airlines would let one board without a valid passport.
I don't agree with this. The airlines will let people on if they are confident Canada will not turn them back - and Canada cannot turn back a PR once landed. This is an obvious fact with a Canadian passport, for example - any short-date passport rules do not apply to citizens returning to Canada.

The problem is the airlines are not always - at gates or check-in - fully knowledgeable. Too many combinations of documents and passports, locations, etc.

And yes - I know lots of people who have boarded with short-dated passports without problems. I also know some who have lost time while airlines tried to find out what the rules are. (Or pretended they knew and then were proved wrong).

So the simple point: better to travel with a passport with more than six (or three) month validity, because while you may be 'right', the airlines can make you miss your flight.

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Need to carry a valid passport when flying internationally is not open for interpretation. Here is what air Canada says. Other airlines will have similar requirements
"Canadian permanent residents/landed immigrants returning to Canada from the United States must carry a valid passport and a valid Canadian Permanent Resident Card (PR Card)."

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Need to carry a valid passport when flying internationally is not open for interpretation. Here is what air Canada says. Other airlines will have similar requirements
"Canadian permanent residents/landed immigrants returning to Canada from the United States must carry a valid passport and a valid Canadian Permanent Resident Card (PR Card)."
Sorry, was your point about only that they must carry a valid passport? I agree with that. I was underlining that Canada does not have a requirement about a passport having more than 3-months remaining validity in respect of permanent residents.