+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel Insurance- Going though customs...Can I just get 6 months worth for now??

elladuffy

Sep 1, 2016
Hello, in two weeks time I'm moving to Canada for up to two years.

I just read on the CIC website this...

"If your insurance policy is valid for less than your expected stay, you will be issued a work permit that expires at the same time as your insurance.
If this happens, you will not be able to apply to change the conditions of your work permit at a later date"

Is this likely to happen? I'm quite frustrated because I don't have the funds to pay for 1-2 years insurance right now. I was originally planning to buy about 6 months worth and then extend it later after I started working for a while.

Thank you

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
elladuffy said:
Hello, in two weeks time I'm moving to Canada for up to two years.

I just read on the CIC website this...

"If your insurance policy is valid for less than your expected stay, you will be issued a work permit that expires at the same time as your insurance.
If this happens, you will not be able to apply to change the conditions of your work permit at a later date"

Is this likely to happen? I'm quite frustrated because I don't have the funds to pay for 1-2 years insurance right now. I was originally planning to buy about 6 months worth and then extend it later after I started working for a while.

Thank you
What is your reason for coming to Canada? Working Holiday (IEC) or as a temporary foreign worker?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
elladuffy said:
Working Holiday!
In that case, assume that you are subject to the requirements stated and that the insurance period will limit your work permit period, just as the IRCC web site states. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/arrival.asp
Health insurance
The border services officer may ask you for proof of health insurance.

You may be refused entry if you do not have insurance.

Your insurance must cover:

medical care,
hospitalization, and
repatriation (returning you to your country in the event of severe illness, injury or death).
When you arrive at the port of entry, you must have health insurance valid for your entire stay in Canada. Having a valid provincial health card is not enough. Repatriation is not covered by provincial health insurance.

If your insurance policy is valid for less than your expected stay, you will be issued a work permit that expires at the same time as your insurance.

If this happens, you will not be able to apply to change the conditions of your work permit at a later date.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
This has always been clearly documented on the CIC website as a condition for obtaining the full IEC permit on arrival, travel insurance for the duration else permit only issued in your case for 6 months and cannot be subsequently extended. Add to that you need to show access to a minimum 2500 cdn as well. Some people might say they were not asked for proof of either but its not a risk worth taking