+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel Back to Canada with Indian Passport Validity less than 6 months

muthusep28

Jan 27, 2020
Hello All, I am a Permanent Resident of Canada. I have been living in Canada for 1 year. I want to travel to India and be back to Canada after two months. My passport expires in July 2022. By the time I travel back to Canada I will have 5 months validity left on my passport. I would like to know if the "6 month validity rule" is applicable to enter back to Canada with my PR still valid until 2024.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 24, 2016
Hey I am in Canada on visitor visa( multiple entry expiring in sep 2023) .
I am flying back to India via London Heathrow airport. Do I need to have transit visa? My flight is same day from same terminal 5 and layover is just 1 hour.
Senior please advise.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello All, I am a Permanent Resident of Canada. I have been living in Canada for 1 year. I want to travel to India and be back to Canada after two months. My passport expires in July 2022. By the time I travel back to Canada I will have 5 months validity left on my passport. I would like to know if the "6 month validity rule" is applicable to enter back to Canada with my PR still valid until 2024.

Thanks in advance.
No issue entering with 5 months left on your passport

Reactions: muthusep28

harmit214@gmail.com

Star Member
Apr 30, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if is covered before but I wanted your help with one thing.

I've Indian Passport and am a Canadian PR holder. My passport is expiring in June 2022.

I'm traveling to India last week of February 2022.

My questions were:-

1. My passport won't be expired yet when i return back mid March so will I get any trouble coming back to Canada with just a few months of passport expiry date left?

2. If i renew my passport in India do I have to advise Canada Immigration about it or is my old Passport linked to current PR?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Nalina

May 6, 2022
Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if is covered before but I wanted your help with one thing.

I've Indian Passport and am a Canadian PR holder. My passport is expiring in June 2022.

I'm traveling to India last week of February 2022.

My questions were:-

1. My passport won't be expired yet when i return back mid March so will I get any trouble coming back to Canada with just a few months of passport expiry date left?

2. If i renew my passport in India do I have to advise Canada Immigration about it or is my old Passport linked to current PR?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Harmit,

I'm in a similar situation now and would be helpful if I could know if you had any issues relating to passport validity in Canada or India and whether or not you got your passport renewed before your trip.
Thanks in advance.

harmit214@gmail.com

Star Member
Apr 30, 2017
Hi Harmit,

I'm in a similar situation now and would be helpful if I could know if you had any issues relating to passport validity in Canada or India and whether or not you got your passport renewed before your trip.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Nalina,

I did not face any issues with any immigration authorities or flight. My YYZ to Mumbai was British Airways and return was KLM. Although I have heard Air India causes issues but make sure before you book Air India. Other wise everything was smooth no questions asked regarding the passport expiry.