+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transfer permanently from US to Canada (H1b to Canada WP) -- Help Pl.!!

VISHAN78

Nov 18, 2016
I have following questions and need some expert advice!

1. Can I move new furniture while moving from US to Canada without paying duties while entry (Under personal affects for settlement in Canada)

2. The furniture I have on hand and the new ones that I plan to buy, what would be the most cost effective way to move this (from NJ to Toronto) - roughly the furniture of a two bed apt.

3. I have a car for which the financing is going on in US. Can I move this to Canada and continue my downpayment in USD and any do's and dont's that I should be aware of?

4. If we can take the car, I am wondering if a trailer can be rented in US and can be returned in Canada to make the move most cost effective

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
2. The furniture I have on hand and the new ones that I plan to buy, what would be the most cost effective way to move this (from NJ to Toronto) - roughly the furniture of a two bed apt.
Why do you want to buy new furniture before re-locating to Toronto? Why not buy new furniture in Toronto itself and save money on transport? Most effective way would be Upack. I used their service for my CT to Montreal move in Jan 2015 and then Montreal to CT move in Feb 2016.

4. If we can take the car, I am wondering if a trailer can be rented in US and can be returned in Canada to make the move most cost effective
Yes. You can rent a Uhaul trailer in NJ and drop it off in Toronto. You can rent a big trailer and hitch your car behind it ( in case your spouse is not comfortable driving your personal car alone from NJ to Toronto) OR you can rent a small trailer and tow it behind your SUV or Jeep ( if you have one). Avoid this option if you have never driven a Uhaul before OR if you are re-locating during winter months. Driving a UHaul during winters on snow clad roads is not fun :)

747-captain

Jan 8, 2015
El Cerrito, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 21, 2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER: Jan 21, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with App
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
Mar 13, 2015 (MR, FBI PCC [app sent to FBI 3/17] and RPRF)
Med's Done....
completed Mar. 23rd, 2015. ECAS 3rd line updated April 3rd.
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
August 08, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
August 13, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 23, 2016
The answer to your 3rd question is:

No, it is virtually impossible to take a car that is financed in the US, if it has not been paid off in full. Yes, in very rare circumstances some banks may give you permission to take the car to Canada, but to export it and then import it into Canada you will need the title of the car free and clear in your name, and the bank will never release the lien on the title till you pay it off in full.

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Question 1 & 2.

I agree with the previous post. Unless you are actually buying something very special, you would do much better to just buy your furniture in Canada, after arrival. Besides the customs issues, no matter how careful you are, moving will damage you stuff and shorten the lifespan.

Any savings in cost will likely be eaten up by moving cost as well.

Good luck. Moving is really not that fun..

Reactions: swan0206

smtele

Apr 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
27-12-2015
Passport Req..
05-06-2016
LANDED..........
29-06-2016
VISHAN78 said:
I have following questions and need some expert advice!

1. Can I move new furniture while moving from US to Canada without paying duties while entry (Under personal affects for settlement in Canada)
Duty free --- yes you can as a permanent settler. As others have suggested, evaluate the tradeoff between moving furniture vs. buying new in Toronto. I moved my furniture though UPack, and all arrived in pretty good shape in Canada. Use blankets, foam sheet, bubble wraps, etc to protect your furniture when moving.

VISHAN78

Nov 18, 2016
Thank you all for your inputs... For point 1, I have been told that the price in Canada would be exorbitant and hence was planning to buy in US and take it to Canada.... If the price is almost par, I will buy in Canada itself. Thanks again!

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
VISHAN78 said:
Thank you all for your inputs... For point 1, I have been told that the price in Canada would be exorbitant and hence was planning to buy in US and take it to Canada.... If the price is almost par, I will buy in Canada itself. Thanks again!
You will need to do some research on price of furniture in both countries and then factor in USD-CAD conversion , Taxes ( Higher in Canada) , Cost of transport , Depreciation due to wear and tear during transport ( unless you are hiring some premium mover) etc to make final decision.

vins1

May 26, 2009
VISHAN78 said:
The difference in furniture prices are not that much. Unless you are renting a Uhaul truck and have space to add more furniture, it would not be worth buying and transporting them to Canada.