+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Toronto vs Vancouver.... better city to live in for Pakistani immigrants

fasyy

Feb 15, 2013
Can anyone give some advice on which city is better in terms of job opportunities, business opportunities, economy, muslim adaptability and weather?

Toronto
Vancouver
Surrey
Calgary

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fasyy said:
Can anyone give some advice on which city is better in terms of job opportunities, business opportunities, economy, muslim adaptability and weather?

Toronto
Vancouver
Surrey
Calgary
You have to keep in mind you are coming to "Canada" this is a non-muslim country, therefore you have to adapt to certain non-muslim cultures. Such as gays and lesbians, transexuals, common law relationship, extramaritial affairs, open relationships, sex education for children. Please keep in mind you are not coming here to adopt to a Muslim culture, for that you should either stay in Pakistan or go to a predominantly Muslim country. You need to adopt to Canadian culture and Canadian culture incorporates people of all religions, skin colour, nationalities, disabilities, all sexes, all genders, etc. And if you find that you are not able to adapt to living in Canada or accepting Canadian culture then you are better off in Pakistan.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Job opportunites, go to Calgary.

Actually better, come alone and don't settle until you visit all cities and do job hunt. Settle once you have a job and only then bring your family.

Desjardins

Mar 1, 2013
your probably going to be okay wherever you go, but I'd strongly advise not to pick a ghettoized area, make sure you and your family try to mingle with naturalized Canadians and other countries so you can fit in properly instead of becoming a part of a small, segregated group as can sometimes happen.

either place you end up, I'm sure you'll be happy if you make an effort to fit in and be Canadian.
best of luck,

Dan

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
Salams Fasyy,

I guess Leon's advice is most sound. Though i'm not sure if you can make the trip twice, financially that might be little hard specially when you are about to move to a new country. However, it makes perfect sense to first come alone, check out which city would work the best for your career and later bring family. Otherwise, it could become stressful for everyone.

Vancouver - living expenses are generally higher than other major cities in Canada (which are Toronto and Calgary :), but the weather is lot better than the rest of Canada. I'd love to move if i get a job a decent pay there.

Calgary - If you are in health care or IT and getting a job offer - definitely live in Calgary. Yes the weather is bit extreme, but still better than Edmonton (which is little north from Calgary). Life is lot more relaxed than Toronto. Gas is cheap and I guess the taxes are lower there too (not sure about the last one, perhaps someone can share their knowledge).

Toronto and its neighborhood called Greater Toronto Area (Mississauga, Oakville, Vaughan, Whitby, Ajax) has the most job opportunities, generally speaking, but also keep in mind that its very competitive. Most of the immigrants prefer to make Toronto their home and hence it has become saturated in many occupations. Yet, there are still opportunities. You'll have to come here and test the waters yourself. There is a huge muslim community in Mississauga. At the same time, you can get that throughout Toronto. But there is no doubt, that Toronto has the biggest muslim community as compared to other cities. Lots of masajids, schools and halal food outlets etc, available in Toronto and neighboring cities.

Alternatively, if you know some friends, relatives, its not a bad idea to live close to them. Being new in a country specially with family, you will need someone with family to become your support system, to help you with info new comers need in the beginning.

humsafar

Jun 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-01-2011
Doc's Request.
Sent with initial application
IELTS Request
Sent with initial application
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS 19-10-2011
Med's Request
20-07-2012
Med's Done....
25-08-2012 received in London 31-08-2012
Desjardins said:
your probably going to be okay wherever you go, but I'd strongly advise not to pick a ghettoized area, make sure you and your family try to mingle with naturalized Canadians and other countries so you can fit in properly instead of becoming a part of a small, segregated group as can sometimes happen.

either place you end up, I'm sure you'll be happy if you make an effort to fit in and be Canadian.
best of luck,

Dan

Hi Desjardins, By any chance do you work in Desjardins insurance company ?