Toronto neighborhoods

tgman

Aug 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys, thanks a lot for your inputs! Appreciate it!
I would prefer a house rather than condo, that we would have a space to play with kid and have some outdoor activities.

mawcanada

Jan 22, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks tgman for starting this thread, I am also moving in the area in July and wanted to pick everyone's brains on areas that have schools that go from grade 1-8. I want both my kids to attend the same school at least their first year in Canada. And since I don't plan to get a car first year I want to rent as close to a school as possible...looking for renting a condo for up to $2000 so any ideas which neighborhoods to target keeping the school and rent range in mind.

mzgblx

Star Member
Jan 26, 2017
tgman said:
Guys, thanks a lot for your inputs! Appreciate it!
I would prefer a house rather than condo, that we would have a space to play with kid and have some outdoor activities.
Try near Pape and Danforth neighborhood or anywhere on east side. Don't look in parkdale or you might have mice or bed bugs. I think you will only get an apartment or a basement in a house for the price, but there are still some nice ones. Be very careful of scams and dont ever send the money online before seeing. Perhaps you can stay in an airBnb for a month or so while you look for a place.

tgman

Aug 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mzgblx said:
Try near Pape and Danforth neighborhood or anywhere on east side. Don't look in parkdale or you might have mice or bed bugs. I think you will only get an apartment or a basement in a house for the price, but there are still some nice ones. Be very careful of scams and dont ever send the money online before seeing. Perhaps you can stay in an airBnb for a month or so while you look for a place.
Thanks a lot! Appreciate it!

vishalg

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2015
NOC Code......
what would be the monthly rent of a studio/1bhk apartment/condo in a decent location not far than 30-40 mins (if using public transport) from downtown toronto. I am just trying figure out the estimates.
Also, if such properties are available for short term (2-3 months).
your inputs are appreciated.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
I dont know the rents and costs of travel as I havent done much research on that. However, if you live further away from your workplace, your commuting costs will increase. If you use put in your travel budget into your rent, you could save travel time.

vishalg

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2015
NOC Code......
xpressentry said:
I dont know the rents and costs of travel as I havent done much research on that. However, if you live further away from your workplace, your commuting costs will increase. If you use put in your travel budget into your rent, you could save travel time.
i guess downtown is somewhere around 1700 per month. monthly TTC pass is around 140/person. I am assuming the fact that I will not have a job when I land there so need to have a travel budget separately. That is why looking for a short term apartment/condo without having credit history. Once I am settled, I can enter into a 1 year lease.
Was just looking for inputs so as to have the right estimates.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
mawcanada said:
Thanks tgman for starting this thread, I am also moving in the area in July and wanted to pick everyone's brains on areas that have schools that go from grade 1-8. I want both my kids to attend the same school at least their first year in Canada. And since I don't plan to get a car first year I want to rent as close to a school as possible...looking for renting a condo for up to $2000 so any ideas which neighborhoods to target keeping the school and rent range in mind.
Your requirements are quite generic and would apply to most neighborhoods in Toronto. Maybe you want to shortlist specific schools first and then look for accommodation that falls within their coverage area, and again - also consider being within close proximity to the subway line since you don't plan on getting a car in your first year.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Homes near good schools can command a higher rent. Be prepared to pay that premium.

Mar 6, 2017
I am living in Danforth Village near by Main Street Station (8min walk, or 3min bus ride). I am renting 2bdrm around 900sqft. for $1350/month. The building is very big, pretty clean. No bedbugs! :) People living in the building are a normal, regular people, no crime here. So you CAN rent for under 1500 and it will be normal apartment, not a tiny studio.

Cheers!

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Polak w Kanadzie said:
I am living in Danforth Village near by Main Street Station (8min walk, or 3min bus ride). I am renting 2bdrm around 900sqft. for $1350/month. The building is very big, pretty clean. No bedbugs! :) People living in the building are a normal, regular people, no crime here. So you CAN rent for under 1500 and it will be normal apartment, not a tiny studio.

Cheers!
Sounds like a good deal as compared to prices today, are the hydro bills and other utilities included? Or at least a percentage of them is included in the rent?

chente

Mar 1, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How about the High Park area for a young couple? Same limit 1500cad. Or the east is better?