+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tolerance of atheist views in Vancouver

santeria

Apr 24, 2009
Hi, I am moving to Vancouver from Central California in Dec 2009.

I am an atheist and wondering if it is OK to have a openly atheist lifestyle, as opposed to posing a false front every time someone asks me about my views on the subject.

It is not the case where I currently live as I would be asking to be ostracized if I admitted that i am an atheist. Americans have a very low tolerance towards atheists.

My other choice was Calgary but I am extremely liberal and Calgary being mostly conservative won't work out.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Sonny

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My experience with Canada is that people don't talk about religion so it really should never come up. However, if you are pushing your atheism on people, you might find that they get annoyed, just like they would with somebody who was pushing religion on them.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Much like the U.S., people in large cities tend to be secular, while religion can still be fairly well entrenched in rural areas. Manitoba for instance has an NDP provincial government, but you wouldn't expect it if you talked only to people who live outside Winnipeg, unless of course they are complaining about their communist government.

maruti81

Mar 13, 2009
santeria said:
Hi, I am moving to Vancouver from Central California in Dec 2009.

I am an atheist and wondering if it is OK to have a openly atheist lifestyle, as opposed to posing a false front every time someone asks me about my views on the subject.

It is not the case where I currently live as I would be asking to be ostracized if I admitted that i am an atheist. Americans have a very low tolerance towards atheists.

My other choice was Calgary but I am extremely liberal and Calgary being mostly conservative won't work out.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Sonny
What's your opinion on 'The case for Christ' by Lee Strobel ?

santeria

Apr 24, 2009
"What's your opinion on 'The case for Christ' by Lee Strobel ?"

Stobel's book presents the typical defense given by Christian apologists. If you really want to be enlightened, I suggest reading "The God Delusion" by Richard Hawkins.

maruti81

Mar 13, 2009
santeria said:

Stobel's book presents the typical defense given by Christian apologists. If you really want to be enlightened, I suggest reading "The God Delusion" by Richard Hawkins.
Yes, I read it. Not fully though. I shall go through it sometime.
I used to be skeptical too. Until I heard about multiple sources (other than Bible) that confirmed the healings and miracles of Christ.

http://www.provethebible.net/T2-Divin/D-0201.htm

In my research and opinion, there are only two possibilities about God. (there is one or None but definitely not many).

Moreover, if we read New testament, it does not look like it is a story. In my experience, most of the people who consider themselves atheists did not read New testament. They merely consider it as a religious propaganda.

santeria

Apr 24, 2009
maruti81 said:
santeria said:

Yes, I read it. Not fully though. I shall go through it sometime.
I used to be skeptical too. Until I heard about multiple sources (other than Bible) that confirmed the healings and miracles of Christ.

http://www.provethebible.net/T2-Divin/D-0201.htm

In my research and opinion, there are only two possibilities about God. (there is one or None but definitely not many).

Moreover, if we read New testament, it does not look like it is a story. In my experience, most of the people who consider themselves atheists did not read New testament. They merely consider it as a religious propaganda.

I wasn't born into Christianity but I am opposed to any form of organized religion. I am not completely oblivious to the contents of the Old and the New Testaments. I just refuse to believe in a talking snake and the Earth being created in 6 days when there is staggering evidence against it.

I should make my position on the existence of God clear (BTW, I appreciate that want to engage in a civilized discussion and not just condemn my belief). I don't know about or can prove the existence/non-existence of God, but neither can you or "any human" on this planet. I don't know what the big deal is about making everyone believe in God, is he/she/it really such an egomaniac. If God is as omniscient as believers claim him to be, he would reward other virtues besides believing in him.

Please read Dawkin's book thoroughly if you can. It may or may not change your belief, but it will give you new perspective.

maruti81

Mar 13, 2009
I was n't born into Christianity either. I don't know about talking snakes and earth being created in 6 days. I am convinced about the four gospels (Maththew, Mark, Luke, John) about what they described about life, healings, teachings of Jesus. These are eye-witness reports and not just stories.

I shall surely go through the Dawkin's book completely as you suggested. I like studying it deeper. Can you also pls. go through the four gospels ?

Regarding your point 'I don't know what the big deal is about making everyone believe in God', it is up to us how to lead our life. The reason we Christians (am converted last year) talk about God to others is because it is what our Lord Jesus told us to do so. The world will be much better if we follow Jesus teachings (Love one another - Do to others what you like others to do to you).

The problem is how some Christians pass the message. I understand it became more of a dogmatic law and racism in some parts of the world. They became judgmental. That is not what Christ is.