+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

'time spent away' in a common law partnership

Germanada

Jul 17, 2017
I have found this forum very useful! I have read through many threads and I am hoping to get some advice with a few stumbling blocks.

I am a Canadian citizen applying to sponsor my partner from Germany. We have been in a relationship for 4.5 years, but have moved back and forth between countries and traveled lots. When I try to string together the '12 months living together' for our application, there is always a period of 'time spent away' of 6 to 8 weeks where one of us has gone home to work or visit family.... will this be a problem for our common law status?

Thanks!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Based on what we've seen on this forum, three weeks apart seems to be the maximum CIC will accept without classifying it as a break in continuous cohabitation. So 6-8 weeks is far too long and will unfortunately definitely be a problem.

Reactions: Classic Chucks
C

Classic Chucks

Shoot. Good to know though and I am glad I thought to ask!
You have to be living together continuously for 12 months with little to no break in between. Agreed with above that 3 weeks or less should be okay.

Germanada

Jul 17, 2017
Hmm does traveling together count? For example, if we lived in Germany together for 9 months and then went to Canada to travel for a month before finding a place to live together in Canada, will this still be considered 'cohabiting'? We are together even though we are moving around?

Thanks so much for the help!

C

Classic Chucks

Hmm does traveling together count? For example, if we lived in Germany together for 9 months and then went to Canada to travel for a month before finding a place to live together in Canada, will this still be considered 'cohabiting'? We are together even though we are moving around?

Thanks so much for the help!
Yes, as long as you can prove you are physically together at the time.