+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

time req to get work permit at port of entry

vijaygahin

Jun 21, 2012
hi i m from india travelling canada edmonton pls let me know can i get work permit at port of entry within half hour after showing req documents & paying $150? how much time it takes to get wp after payment

crama123

Feb 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
Hong Kong PCC
AOR Received.
31-May-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
Med's Request
09-Feb-2014
Med's Done....
05-Mar-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
29-May-2014
LANDED..........
20-July-2014
I came to canada on a workpermit 1.5yrs back. How long it takes depends on the queue at the immigration counter... When I came in there is no one waiting in the queue and it took me some 20-30min. I forgot to carry the letter issued by the visa office in india so it took me a bit longer than usual else I think it should be done in less than 15min time. And I dont remember paying 150$ at the port of entry... As far as i remember the 150$ fee is at the time of visa processing.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
vijaygahin said:
hi i m from india travelling canada edmonton pls let me know can i get work permit at port of entry within half hour after showing req documents & paying $150? how much time it takes to get wp after payment
You probably know already that coming from a non visa exempt country you have to get your LMO and work permit application completed BEFORE coming to Canada. Your fees will be paid at the time you submit your application. The VO will give you a letter which you produce at the Canadian Immigration Port of Entry and then the WP is officially given to you. Are you trying to decide how much time you need between flights?

vijaygahin

Jun 21, 2012
i mean i have valid work visa on which can i get work permit at port of entry for different employer who offered me job becuse no reply from old employer after receiving visa .I AM PIPE FITTER SO AT TIME WHEN I APPLIED FOR WP IN INDIA I WAS LMO EXEMPTED & STILL NOT REQ LMO TILL 2013.
THATS WHY I M ASKING CAN I GET WORKPERMIT AT POE ON NEW EMPLOYER NAME IF I HAVE HIS OFFER LETTER(AS I M ALREADY LMO EXEMPTED) ON MY CURRENT VALID WORK VISA FROM 17MAY2012 TO 15 MAY2013?

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
I do not understand how you are LMO exempt? The LMO and Work Permit are linked. If you do not use the work permit for that specific job that the LMO was given, then you have to start over with the job offer, LMO granting and then a new work permit. You mentioned that you are a pipefitter, please explain the regulations to us that it is an LMO exempt occupation so we will understand more of your situation. LOL - I wonder if we will see a FLOOD of pipefitters if this is the case? Good Luck.

vijaygahin

Jun 21, 2012
pls check this to know abt pipe fitter exemption GO TO CIC CANADA GOVT SITE & CHECK BULLETIN LETTER

now tell me can i get work permit at POE BECUZ I HAVE OFFER LETTER FROM EMPLOYER WHO IS WATING FOR ME TO ARRIVE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
I have just included a snippet of the whole Bulletin, but it would further your goal to get an informed answer if you go through the Bulletin and pull out the part that describes your situation and post it. I don't know if you are certified or not, but from the information you supplied, I understand you have a ONE YEAR WORK PERMIT. From what I know of your situation at this point, I can only assume yours is an EMPLOYER-SPECIFIC work permit. Give us more details, as I think we are all fishing in the same pond using different bait. (No idea where I got that from, but it is "fitting"!) We're here to help each other find the answers, but without the correct information it is impossible.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob279C.asp
This pilot project will operate as follows:

TFW applicants who have a job offer in the steamfitter/pipefitter occupation, for a position located in Alberta, from an individual employer or an employer acting on behalf of a recognized Group of Employers (GoE) under the CIC-HRSDC GoE Pilot are eligible for either

a.a one-year employer-specific work permit or
b.a two-year open work permit (occupation specific; allowing mobility between employers within the Province of Alberta)
depending on whether or not he or she has been certified as being qualified at the journeyperson level by the Province of Alberta.

vijaygahin

Jun 21, 2012
i was received job offer from canadian say x employer. that time also pipe fitter was lmo exempted & according to this new operational bulletin it is still exempted upto 2013.
now what happened i received my work visa on this employer (x) offer letter, there is nothing mentioned on visa & introduction letter about this employer name. i just got valid visa for 1 year.
now this employer told to wait me in india till they sent another invitation letter upon which my job will start.no time frame indicated here to wait.
during this period i got offer from employer say "y" received offer letter also& employer checked my visa & told me to travel directly& get work permit at poe.i m still lmo exempted.
so i m asking that can i travel to canada on this valid work visa & get work permit at poe for employer "y" who is wating for me at job site?