+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Threatening - Marriage fraud

Sarrani

Jan 18, 2024
Hi, I'm facing a serious problem. Im a Sri Lankan citizen and currently living in Sri lanka. I fell in love with my husband under an arranged marriage and my husband is a PR holder in Canada. We got married in Sri lanka 1.5 years ago and he applied for my spousal visa and promised me that he would take me to Canada after I get my PR. Our love was genuine and i truly loved him. However, 1 months ago when my PR is still under process, he withdrew my PR application from IRCC and disappeared and blocked my phone number and his social media are all deactivated. His parents are living in Sri lanka and now his father is speaking with our family on behalf of him. Now his father is saying that his son is requesting to divorce me and threatening us saying his son is going to report me under marriage fraud to IRCC. Is there any way that he could prove that I'm wrong? I genuinely loved him and I did not get married to him for the sake of his PR but for his love. I was madly in love with him and could not belive he would do this to me. Can i get my name cleared if he report me to IRCC since I'm the innocent party in this case. Can my husband report me like that? If he can, then will IRCC give me a chance to explain my side of the story as well? I do not need any PR, all I need is to prove myself as i haven't done anything wrong to him.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I'm facing a serious problem. Im a Sri Lankan citizen and currently living in Sri lanka. I fell in love with my husband under an arranged marriage and my husband is a PR holder in Canada. We got married in Sri lanka 1.5 years ago and he applied for my spousal visa and promised me that he would take me to Canada after I get my PR. Our love was genuine and i truly loved him. However, 1 months ago when my PR is still under process, he withdrew my PR application from IRCC and disappeared and blocked my phone number and his social media are all deactivated. His parents are living in Sri lanka and now his father is speaking with our family on behalf of him. Now his father is saying that his son is requesting to divorce me and threatening us saying his son is going to report me under marriage fraud to IRCC. Is there any way that he could prove that I'm wrong? I genuinely loved him and I did not get married to him for the sake of his PR but for his love. I was madly in love with him and could not belive he would do this to me. Can i get my name cleared if he report me to IRCC since I'm the innocent party in this case. Can my husband report me like that? If he can, then will IRCC give me a chance to explain my side of the story as well? I do not need any PR, all I need is to prove myself as i haven't done anything wrong to him.
Don’t take this threat seriously. They can’t report you for marriage fraud when there isn’t even a sponsorship happening. Sadly if your spouse wants a divorce there is nothing you can do but there shouldn’t be any longterm repercussions with IRCC. Even if they did report you for marriage fraud IRCC rarely pursues cases and if there is no sponsorship involved they will likely ignore any reports if there is no sponsorship involved. I would ignore the threats of being reported. They are likely just trying to scare you. I’m sorry this is happening to you.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
He can withdraw the sponsorship application. So if you don't care about getting PR, you don't have to worry.

He can file for divorce. As responded, do not worry about the marriage fraud. IRCC likely won't investigate if there is no active file on sponsorship application.
So there is nothing to proof or to no one for you to proof to. Have he visited you since you got married? May be the relationship is hard to maintain long distance.

Sarrani

Jan 18, 2024
He can withdraw the sponsorship application. So if you don't care about getting PR, you don't have to worry.

He can file for divorce. As responded, do not worry about the marriage fraud. IRCC likely won't investigate if there is no active file on sponsorship application.
So there is nothing to proof or to no one for you to proof to. Have he visited you since you got married? May be the relationship is hard to maintain long distance.

Sarrani

Jan 18, 2024
Let's say, I want to start my own journey in a different country with new dreams...and in order to fill the application forms i have to mention that im previously married to a canadian PR holder and he withdrew my PR application. Will that be a problem for me when im going to apply for student/work or any other visa in a different country? Because he said that if he submitted that document, i won't be able to travel to any country and he wanted to punish me by doing so