+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

This is my plan when I move to Canada a non-licensed IMG. (health informatics)

Thirty30

Star Member
Sep 11, 2020
I'm currently in the process of creating my EE file. However, I've read enough posts to realize that the chances of foreign-trained IMGs getting licensed in Canada are challenging, Which is fine by me.

I did two years of training in surgical residency then decided to move to a less clinical field, I ended up getting accepted into Preventive/Community residency program. This 4-year residency program is unique in the way that the first 2 years are purely taken from the University of Toronto's MPH program. Same credit hours, courses, everything. The following 2 years are field rotations focusing on epidemiology and some subspecialties like health economy and health informatics.

My plan after finishing residency is to apply to EE as a specialized physician NOC (since it fits my job description). If I don't get an ITA. My plan B is to do a 2-year Master's in health informatics in Canada and try to get a job in NOC 1252 (Health information management occupations)

I'm not very worried about money as I've been living frugally for the past few years and investing every penny I have to make sure my move to Canada is backed up financially for at least a couple of years. My net worth is shy of $700,000 USD, debt-free.

My only Concern:
Do you guys know any good health informatics Master's in Canada? I've looked at Uvic and Utoronto. Both stated that the program is domestic-focus and international applicants are rarely considered. Waterloo's Master's is purely online which I'm not interested in, and Dalhousie's program has been renamed to "Master's of digital innovation" which makes it sound broad and not entirely health-focused.

Based on what I said, I'm also happy to hear any suggestions if someone was in my situation and what would you do differently.

Thanks,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm currently in the process of creating my EE file. However, I've read enough posts to realize that the chances of foreign-trained IMGs getting licensed in Canada are challenging, Which is fine by me.

I did two years of training in surgical residency then decided to move to a less clinical field, I ended up getting accepted into Preventive/Community residency program. This 4-year residency program is unique in the way that the first 2 years are purely taken from the University of Toronto's MPH program. Same credit hours, courses, everything. The following 2 years are field rotations focusing on epidemiology and some subspecialties like health economy and health informatics.

My plan after finishing residency is to apply to EE as a specialized physician NOC (since it fits my job description). If I don't get an ITA. My plan B is to do a 2-year Master's in health informatics in Canada and try to get a job in NOC 1252 (Health information management occupations)

I'm not very worried about money as I've been living frugally for the past few years and investing every penny I have to make sure my move to Canada is backed up financially for at least a couple of years. My net worth is shy of $700,000 USD, debt-free.

My only Concern:
Do you guys know any good health informatics Master's in Canada? I've looked at Uvic and Utoronto. Both stated that the program is domestic-focus and international applicants are rarely considered. Waterloo's Master's is purely online which I'm not interested in, and Dalhousie's program has been renamed to "Master's of digital innovation" which makes it sound broad and not entirely health-focused.

Based on what I said, I'm also happy to hear any suggestions if someone was in my situation and what would you do differently.

Thanks,
what is your current status in Canada? Where did you do medical school? Have you officially matched to the preventative community medicine residency?

Thirty30

Star Member
Sep 11, 2020
what is your current status in Canada? Where did you do medical school? Have you officially matched to the preventative community medicine residency?
Hi.
I'm an outlander, I did not study nor have ever been to Canada. I'm matched and doing a residency in my home country.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

My only Concern:

Thanks,
U of T does offer residency spots to IMGs but they require sponsor support. It doesn’t seem like you qualify because you are self-financing, What round did you secure the residency spot? After the first round of matches

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi.
I'm an outlander, I did not study nor have ever been to Canada. I'm matched and doing a residency in my home country.
just clarifying that you have interviewed at different Canadian schools after it became clear what residency spots remained unfilled after 1st round selections (Canadian medical students). You put down your selections for the 2nd round match and have been offered a spot at U of T. When did you get the results of your match? Assume it is for start date in July 2022.

Thirty30

Star Member
Sep 11, 2020
just clarifying that you have interviewed at different Canadian schools after it became clear what residency spots remained unfilled after 1st round selections (Canadian medical students). You put down your selections for the 2nd round match and have been offered a spot at U of T. When did you get the results of your match? Assume it is for start date in July 2022.
Hi, I think I was misunderstood. I'm not planning to do a residency in Canada. The U of T program I'm pursuing is a traditional Master's degree. The residency I'm doing here will only serve me CRS points (as foreign experience) and hopefully makes me competitive in the admission process. I'm not interested in competing in any matching system.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I think I was misunderstood. I'm not planning to do a residency in Canada. The U of T program I'm pursuing is a traditional Master's degree. The residency I'm doing here will only serve me CRS points (as foreign experience) and hopefully makes me competitive in the admission process. I'm not interested in competing in any matching system.
Very confused. How is your program following 2 the U of T MPH program if it isn’t in Canada. If the residency follows the MPH program for the first 2 years you only have 2 years of clinical experience so that would be similar to a GP.

Golbarg2021

Jan 28, 2021

My only Concern:

Thanks,
Did you take a look at the eHealth program at McMaster?