+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The passport(s) provided does not cover the 6 year period... PLEASE HELP

elle elle

Feb 11, 2016
Hello everyone,

We came in Canada last July 2011 and became resident in the same month and year. We tried to calculate our physical presence and it says QUALIFIED.
My family had submitted the application for citizenship last December 2015. The application was returned last January 2016. The letter says:

The passport(s) provided does not cover the 6 year period preceding the date of your application. Please send us a photocopy of the biographical page of any other passport(s) you have had during the relevant 6 year period.

We included everything, a photocopy of the old passport and the new passport. My question is, do you really have to be physically present in Canada for 6 years before you apply for the citizenship? If that's so, why did the presence calculator approved or said that you are qualified since we came here 2011. Got only 90days to send it back to them.

Need your help and advise.

Thank you very much.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
You don't need to be physically present for six years. You need four out of the previous six (as PRs) with at least six months in each of the four. Did you meet these requirements? In any event, they want copies of your passports for the six year period preceding your application. What not just send them?

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
elle elle said:
Hello everyone,

We came in Canada last July 2011 and became resident in the same month and year. We tried to calculate our physical presence and it says QUALIFIED.
My family had submitted the application for citizenship last December 2015. The application was returned last January 2016. The letter says:

The passport(s) provided does not cover the 6 year period preceding the date of your application. Please send us a photocopy of the biographical page of any other passport(s) you have had during the relevant 6 year period.

We included everything, a photocopy of the old passport and the new passport. My question is, do you really have to be physically present in Canada for 6 years before you apply for the citizenship? If that's so, why did the presence calculator approved or said that you are qualified since we came here 2011. Got only 90days to send it back to them.

Thank you very much.
Do as the instruction guide says: if your passport(s) don't cover the period required (mine didn't), include a letter clarifying this.

Raja420

Dec 31, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Was there a Gap between the expiry date of old passport and the new Passport. If yes just write letter and declare that you didn't leave Canada in that period of time. You be ok.
elle elle said:
Hello everyone,

Thank you very much.

Husseinsyed

Star Member
Jan 26, 2016
Its very clearly stated in checklist and in citizenship application that you need to submit your passports for last six years or from the day when you became PR. So i sent my passport which covers only last 5 years as i became PR in 2011. I dont know why they sent your application back.....

Yukaa08

Jan 23, 2016
elle elle said:
Hello everyone,

Thank you very much.

You have to write a letter to citizenship explaining your passport validity if you did not renew it or if you did renew it. It has to cover the 6 years - for example your passport expires in 2012 and you came to Canada 2010 and you did not renew your passport 2010-2016 (6 years), *Write a letter telling them that you did not renew the passport because there is no need for me to travel out of the country.*

elle elle

Feb 11, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I've gathered all our documents and it's ready to be sent out.

My question is do I need to include the letter from embassy when re-submitting our application?

Please and thank you very much.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
elle elle said:
Hi Everyone,

I've gathered all our documents and it's ready to be sent out.

My question is do I need to include the letter from embassy when re-submitting our application?

Please and thank you very much.
You don't need a letter from the embassy, but you do need a letter from yourself clarifying the time gap in between passports.

luic

Feb 27, 2016
elle elle said:
Hello everyone,

Thank you very much.
I imagine the OP qualifies only in 2017 after 6 years from becoing PR if submitted in accordance with 4/6 rules..I could be wrong, suggest getting feedback from other hero members