+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The cost of MS drugs

Nov 26, 2019
tehran
Hello guys

Please help me, I want to immigrate to Canada, what's the cost of the following drugs?

1- RITUXIMAB - INJECTION (Rituxan)
2- Tecfidera 240 mg

If someone who intends to enter Canada to study has MS (Multiple Sclerosis), can she obtain a permanent residence (work permit) after completing her education? She is currently taking 2 Tecfider (Dimethyl Fumarate) daily

I have heard that those whose medication costs more than $ 20,000 a year cannot afford permanent residency.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Honestly your drug costs are huge between the 2 medications and will get denied. You would be way over 100k over 5 years without taking into account any more medical intervention. Most private drug plans through employers refuse to pay for these medications so the province has to pay the bulk, then the person and the employer drug plan (if you have one) splits the rest. 2 exceptional access drugs means you are taking drugs that are the most expensive in Canada so doctors must justify in detail that there are no other options and there is clinical evidence that you must take these drugs and not others. If you skipped over less expensive treatments that are effective for some MS patients you would likely have to go back and try them before having a chance of getting approved. Honestly I would stay where you are for your health.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would also add that getting coverage for these drugs as a student is unlikely. The maximum health cost is usually much lower for students and the person is unlikely to be approved for a study permit.