+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TFWP Closed Work Permit Need help

Ark909

May 22, 2024
Hi All,

I moved to Vancouver on a closed work permit last year from the USA.

I feel due to the closed work permit; the employer has not given me the promotion that I deserved. My manager even mentioned during one of the meetings that I couldn't switch jobs and be grateful for the given appraisal and not laying me off.

Now, it seems they are trying a few workarounds to see that I do not qualify for CEC points, which affects me mentally and asking (literally forcing) me to move back to Seattle and putting me on a project different from my skill set. I am going through a mental breakdown at this stage.

Can anyone suggest what can be done in this scenario? I appreciate any help or guidance to see what can be done

forevermore76

Star Member
May 19, 2024
Hi All,

I moved to Vancouver on a closed work permit last year from the USA.

I feel due to the closed work permit; the employer has not given me the promotion that I deserved. My manager even mentioned during one of the meetings that I couldn't switch jobs and be grateful for the given appraisal and not laying me off.

Now, it seems they are trying a few workarounds to see that I do not qualify for CEC points, which affects me mentally and asking (literally forcing) me to move back to Seattle and putting me on a project different from my skill set. I am going through a mental breakdown at this stage.

Can anyone suggest what can be done in this scenario? I appreciate any help or guidance to see what can be done
I would look for a different role within the company which will allow you to stay in Canada, apply for jobs externally and create a profile under Canadian experience class(I can't see how an employer can influence a process like that).
Worst you move to Seattle and figure it out from there but remember nothing's the end of the world.

Ark909

May 22, 2024
I would look for a different role within the company which will allow me to stay in Canada, apply for jobs externally and create a profile under the Canadian experience class(I can't see how an employer can influence a process like that).
Worst, you move to Seattle and figure it out from there, but remember, nothing's the end of the world.
They are asking me to move to Seattle just a month before I become eligible for the CEC points