+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary Work Visa - Finding Work

Warren1212

May 31, 2010
Hello all,

I'm new to this site and I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I really do need some help.

I want to visit Canada for no longer than a year and I would like to be able to work there.

Do I need a job offer, before applying for a visa? or can I just travel there and look for work as I have saved up enough money to be able to live for around 6 months.

I'm currently living in the UK and as you can imagine it seems very hard to find a job in Canada whilst being so far away. Are there any tips for finding work?

Thankyou for any advice,

Warren

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Warren1212 said:
Hello all,

I'm new to this site and I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I really do need some help.

I want to visit Canada for no longer than a year and I would like to be able to work there.

Do I need a job offer, before applying for a visa? or can I just travel there and look for work as I have saved up enough money to be able to live for around 6 months.

I'm currently living in the UK and as you can imagine it seems very hard to find a job in Canada whilst being so far away. Are there any tips for finding work?

Thankyou for any advice,

Warren
1. If you are under 31 you can apply for an Open work permit valid for 1 year. See Bunac. Applications will open in December for next year.
2. The problem with your plan is that you would have to find an employer that is will to apply to HRSDC to get a Labour Market Opinion that there are no Canadians/PRs available for the work and the employer has advertised on the Job Bank for 2 weeks. This will take a minimum of 8 weeks, could go longer. The wages must meet the local conditions. If, (and that is a big if, unless you have skills in demand) then you would have to go to a Border Office and apply for a work permit, as long as don't require a medical for the job.

nhunaro

Jul 22, 2010
PMM said:
Hi

1. If you are under 31 you can apply for an Open work permit valid for 1 year. See Bunac. Applications will open in December for next year.
2. The problem with your plan is that you would have to find an employer that is will to apply to HRSDC to get a Labour Market Opinion that there are no Canadians/PRs available for the work and the employer has advertised on the Job Bank for 2 weeks. This will take a minimum of 8 weeks, could go longer. The wages must meet the local conditions. If, (and that is a big if, unless you have skills in demand) then you would have to go to a Border Office and apply for a work permit, as long as don't require a medical for the job.
HI there,

I am in the same situation. I am from the Philippines. I would like to work in Canada. Is it possible to apply for work visa without a job offer? During my stay there, my aunt ( a Canadian citizen) will support me (she will submit Affidavit of Support) until such time I may be able to find one.

nhunaro
nhunaro@yahoo.com