+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary Resident visa for Turkish wife

mtomkinson

Sep 12, 2008
Hi all,

First off, thanks a lot for all the inputs on this website, it sure does help to get some advice and also see people having the same issues sometimes :)

Anyways, back to the topic of my post. To give you some background, I have just recently married my wife (August 2008) in Turkey. We are currently going through the process of applying for her Permanent Residency Visa, but we do understand that the process can take several months and up to about a year for Ankara's embassy (according to the government website).

Now my question is, would it be safe to ask for a temporary resident visa for her to be able to come to Canada to see me for a month? She has just completed her master's degree in the UK and moved back to Turkey a couple months ago, and doesn't want to start a career in Turkey, so she is self-employed doing translation work.

An important note: She has already been refused entry into Canada while we were only dating. Same reasons as I often see on this website: Government was not convinced she would return to Turkey after her vacation. We were told not to re-apply unless our situation changes. Does marriage consist of a sufficient change to justify a new application that could be accepted? Also, if we do apply, and for some reason, she is refused the temporary entry again, does that make the permanent residency visa application harder for us? Because the last thing we want is to jeopardize that portion of our process.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any replies!

Marc

canthai

Star Member
Jul 30, 2008
Marc,
I guess it would be safe to apply and this shouldn't hurt your chances of PRV unless the information you give on the PRV application is different than the information on the TRV application. The embassy will cross-check your TRV file number with your PRV application! Email/call the embassy and ask them, just in case since I'm not 100% sure of this! :)

Although, in my honest opinion, I don't think there is any point in applying again for a TRV since she has been rejected already in the past. What is more dominant now is she is married to you and she must state this on a TRV application. This does not prove to the embassy that she will return. In fact, it is likely the embassy will be more convinced that she won't return back to Turkey. When my wife (gf at time) was denied her TRV they also said her chances will be different only if her situation changed, but getting married is no grounds for an embassy to grant a TRV. I think the changes they mean are big changes over time and people who apply again are just giving the embassy's more money! We were told, after being denied for a TRV, to get married, read/fill out the forms and apply for PRV.

It's up to you! Good luck!

Hope this helps!

canthai

mtomkinson

Sep 12, 2008
Well, I guess I will contact the embassy in Ankara to see if it is even worth it... I guess I hadn't looked at it in the sense that the marriage might actually be an additional reason to reject the application! Our intention is not for her to stay over, its for her to come spend some time with me! It's really too bad that the government must've had many problems with illegal immigrants that the rest of the honest world must suffer... oh well! Patience, patience, patience :) A few more months for a lifelong happiness isn't so bad I guess :)

Thanks again!

If anyone else has any more input, feel free :) I will keep you posted on my findings once I've contacted the embassy!

Marc