+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TEF level in France is hardcore

Lasip

Jun 7, 2020
Hi guys,

I was born in France and lived here for 20 years.
I then left and spent 10 years in a foreign country where they speak English only. I had zero french friends and was only communicating in my mother tongue when calling family or friends.
Just before leaving the country, I did the TEF, it was easy. I got the score necessary to have the full point in EE. (288 358 414 433)

Now, I have been in France for a full year, speaking french on a daily basis, reading stuff, filling out forms...
I had to do the TEF once again (the 2 years expiry date got hit). I have done it in Paris.
It was really not easy for me. The level was clearly different. I felt like this was impossible to ace it for a foreigner even with strong french skills.
I even told my examiner that the level was nothing compared with when I did it abroad. He acted surprised...
Seriously, it is like I was asked to read a text about a dog going to the park when I did it overseas but this time, here in Paris, it was more like if I was reading an essay on The Pragmatics, Policies, and Principles for Data Sharing in the History of the Human Genome Project.

My score this time: 262 347 329 430
I lost a total of 56 points on my EE because of that.

Conclusion, don't do your TEF in France, it is a scam. Go to Poland or Serbia or whatever.

thaovy99

Jun 26, 2019
If you are in France, you should have known that TCF is way more standard and its test structure remains stable overtime. Good luck for the rest of the journey.

Reactions: Lasip