+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TEF for CRS score

Ankit1616

Feb 12, 2020
Hi,
I went through CRS calculator tool, and i was confused with CRS score for SECOND OFFICIAL LANGUAGE and ADDITIONAL POINTS FACTOR

For CLB 7 in TEF, It gave 3 points for each (S,W,R,L)
Total : 12 points

Also it gave 30 points at the very end for “ADDITIONAL POINTS”.

so, Total points : 42 ( 12 + 30).
for TEF.

I was confused with this , because all i knew so far was ,
24 points maximum for SECOND OFFICIAL LANGUAGE.

Thanks in advance .

swarapriyan

Star Member
Aug 2, 2014
Hi,

It is because of having French knowledge. If you have score of CLB 5 above in English and French score as secondary language, you would be awarded 30 points as additional. It is just like gift of having French knowledge. ;)

It is clearly stated in the section D.Additional Points from the below path,
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/criteria-comprehensive-ranking-system/grid.html

Ankit1616

Feb 12, 2020
Hi,

It is because of having French knowledge. If you have score of CLB 5 above in English and French score as secondary language, you would be awarded 30 points as additional. It is just like gift of having French knowledge. ;)

It is clearly stated in the section D.Additional Points from the below path,
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/criteria-comprehensive-ranking-system/grid.html
thank you,

Dblessed

Jan 8, 2019
Hi,
I went through CRS calculator tool, and i was confused with CRS score for SECOND OFFICIAL LANGUAGE and ADDITIONAL POINTS FACTOR

For CLB 7 in TEF, It gave 3 points for each (S,W,R,L)
Total : 12 points

Also it gave 30 points at the very end for “ADDITIONAL POINTS”.

so, Total points : 42 ( 12 + 30).
for TEF.

I was confused with this , because all i knew so far was ,
24 points maximum for SECOND OFFICIAL LANGUAGE.

Thanks in advance .

Hi,

Yes, you can get 3 points for B 2 CLB 7 level in French, but it doesn't stop there.

C1 gives 4 points and it can continue increasing to 6 points maximum at the advanced C2 level.

You calculated 3 points x 4 skill areas to get 12 points + 30 points = 42 points

But 6 points X 4 skill areas (RLWS) = makes the 24 points maximum.

So, if you are single or relocating without a spouse, plus if you have maxed out your french at C2 level, that will be 24 points + the extra 30 points for being bilingual i.e. French CLB 7 upwards + IELTS CLB 5 upwards (takes effort, not really a gift :) = 54 points in total.

If you are married = 22 points maximum + 30 (instead of 24 points).

Others knowledgeable may throw more light on this...

All the best.

Last edited: