+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taxing and mail forwader service

DomBeard

Mar 17, 2023
Hello, I'm on the open work permit(OWP), and I'm a junior software engineer(SE). Was recently hired in the startup, based in London, ON. But I live in the another province. As it common among SE, this job is fully remote, and all my colleagues live in different cities across Ontario.

Because I don't have much experience as SE, recently graduated in my college in Canada, and because of problems on the labour market, I was forced to sign the only job offer, to not become homeless, or not be forced to return to the home country. BTW, I don't have even money for ticket (and honestly, it's dangerous for me to return there, I have problems with local government, because was a political activist, and have friends who were jailed for participation in protests). During interview, they told me, they need from me an Ontario address, to be legally hired. I said, I don't have one, but can register a mail forwarding service, and asked them to update me if it required or not.

This topic was not rose up ever again during hiring process. They sent a job offer, which is pretty good, despite my financial situation - I could probably sign it even if I have savings. SE still pretty good profession in Canada, despite recent massive layoffs among FAANG. I've started to work, and did my best in order to pass a test period, and keep business happy about my code. But recently, HR followed up and told me, they need an Ontario address, and blamed me that I still not provided it yet for them.

I don't have money for a tax advisor - my bank refused to increase the limit on my credit card, which is already empty (I'm in debt), I think, because of OWP status. I got this card when was on student visa. I'm about to go to the food bank - I hope, I'll not do this, and I have money to pay for my rent and for a cheap food. I don't really care about it, in my home country it was even more harsh situations, when I didn't have money even half of the year, and faced with starvation for a week. But it means, I can only ask advice on the internet.
Also, I don't have friends in Canada. Only a bit among other students, but they also not very wealthy. Nobody can help me with money for a tax advisor.

So, could you please help me understand is it legal to order a mail forwarding address in Ontario, in order to let my employer do their paperwork and consider me to be hired in Ontario?
Another question: if it's illegal, maybe it's not my responsibility, but the responsibility of my employer? Can I just fill my 2023 tax report, in the winter, 2024, as resident of my actual province?
Can Canada revenue agency be angry for me to do things like this? Or even IRCC, and can I lose my OWP status in Canada because of this situation? Could you please advise me something else?
Is it a crime to not report my employer to police/Canada Revenue Agency, which demand from me to register a mail forwarding service?

I hope, I'm just otherthinking, and it's nothing illegal in the case.