+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taxes

NINA_777

Sep 2, 2020
Hello
I am currently a visitor in Canada I've been here for a while because of COVID I couldn't go back to my home country and requested an extension. I've been wanting to open an online Women fashion store either on ebay or Amazon. I don't have a huge inventory or anything just a couple of items I want to sell I'm not sure how much money I will be making I will be selling cheap items. Now my question is should I be paying Canadian taxes? is what I am doing illegal? knowing I am a foreigner and I will be leaving in a few months and will continue operating my business from my home country hopefully. I need some guidance on how to do this I am so confused.

NINA_777

Sep 2, 2020
Does it make any difference if the store address is in my home country but the items' location is in Canada?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Hello
I am currently a visitor in Canada I've been here for a while because of COVID I couldn't go back to my home country and requested an extension. I've been wanting to open an online Women fashion store either on ebay or Amazon. I don't have a huge inventory or anything just a couple of items I want to sell I'm not sure how much money I will be making I will be selling cheap items. Now my question is should I be paying Canadian taxes? is what I am doing illegal? knowing I am a foreigner and I will be leaving in a few months and will continue operating my business from my home country hopefully. I need some guidance on how to do this I am so confused.
You are not allowed to work in Canada as a visitor.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What you want to do is illegal if your “items” are being shipped within Canada. Wait until you get home to start your busines.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello
At this point there are many more flights available. Agree that you can’t start a business and ship things from Canada. If you are running your business online and items are being shipped from your home country to other countries (not Canada) you can run your business until you return home. Assume the clothing isn’t made in Canada.

blackfox

May 9, 2018
Potential Issue
Individuals visiting Canada when the travel restrictions were imposed may not have been able to return to their country of tax residence as they intended and instead had to stay in Canada. Could this extended stay in Canada result in the individual being resident in Canada for Canadian tax purposes?

Agency position
If an individual stayed in Canada only because of the travel restrictions, that factor alone will not cause the CRA to consider the common-law factual test of residency to be met. Also, as an administrative matter and in light of the extraordinary circumstances, the CRA will not consider the days during which an individual is present in Canada and is unable to return to their country of residence solely as a result of the travel restrictions to count towards the 183-day limit for deemed residency. This will be the CRA position where, among other things, the individual is usually a resident of another country and intends to return, and does in fact return, to their country of residence as soon as they are able to.[/QUOTE]

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/campaigns/covid-19-update/guidance-international-income-tax-issues.html