Tax when outside Canada

bbehrad

Jul 5, 2010
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
Last year after a short stay and settling immigration I left Canada and still I am outside Canada.
Do I need to do any thing in regard to tax. I haven't done anything so far in this regards and I am a little bit worry about it.
I didn't have any financial activities there except I opened bank account and deposit some amount of money on arrival and also transferred money from abroad later on.

Thanks and Regards

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

bbehrad said:
Hi,
Last year after a short stay and settling immigration I left Canada and still I am outside Canada.
Do I need to do any thing in regard to tax. I haven't done anything so far in this regards and I am a little bit worry about it.
I didn't have any financial activities there except I opened bank account and deposit some amount of money on arrival and also transferred money from abroad later on.

Thanks and Regards
No, you are probably not classified as a resident for tax purposes by CRA as you have no Canadian income.

bbehrad

Jul 5, 2010
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Regina said:
It does not matter. In Canada you have to report your foreign income IF you are a resident in Canada FOR TAX purposes (significant ties with Canada).
In topic starter case- he is not a tax resident of Canada yet.
Thank you Regina and PMM
@regina,
From your post I undestand as I am not currently living in canada I don't need to report my income outside Canada and I am not applicable for tax. Right?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bbehrad said:
Thank you Regina and PMM
@ regina,
From your post I undestand as I am not currently living in canada I don't need to report my income outside Canada and I am not applicable for tax. Right?
If you don't have income (including investment income) and residential ties in Canada, you are not applicable for Canadian tax.

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mmmm guys. I am not sure if OP is a Canadian Citizen.
If he or she is, then OP needs to report any income outside Canada. And IT's TAXABLE.
Try to connect with expats. To avoid the taxes, OP needs to apply for a non-resident status. Yes OP will still be a Citizen but not a Resident.
I am not sure if this applies to Permanent Residents outside.

steaky said:
If you don't have income (including investment income) and residential ties in Canada, you are not applicable for Canadian tax.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
farrous13 said:
Try to connect with expats. To avoid the taxes, OP needs to apply for a non-resident status. Yes OP will still be a Citizen but not a Resident.
I am not sure if this applies to Permanent Residents outside.
Even with non-resident status, the OP might still have to pay taxes in some circumstances. If you want to be certain if this applies to PR outside, why don't you call the CRA (a more reliable source than mere expats) and find out?

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
Even with non-resident status, the OP might still have to pay taxes in some circumstances. If you want to be certain if this applies to PR outside, why don't you call the CRA (a more reliable source than mere expats) and find out?
I don't need to call. I don't have any intentions to leave Canada. I have Canadian friends that live in the Middle East/US so I know a bit. I heard that if there is any sort of income in Canada is subject to taxes (even if the citizen is outside).
But if you are not a resident you don't pay any taxes. I am quite sure. Some pay taxes because they rent their house or condo and earn a living. Then the taxes apply to the income value in Canada and not outside. I also heard (but not sure), that there should not be any vehicle in possession on the road.