+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax return question on residency

m4w142

Apr 13, 2021
Hello, I have a question when I tried to file my tax return using Wealthsimple.

I used to hold the work permit and filed tax returns for both the federal and the provincial governments for the previous years. On January 13, 2021, I became a permanent resident of Canada. When I filed my tax return, there is a question asks "Did you become a resident of Canada (immigrate) for tax purposes in 2020?" I am not quite sure if I should answer "Yes" or "No" on this question. I think that this would be a "No" since I have filed tax returns before. But I am not sure of it.

Could anyone help me with this question?

Thanks!

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
Hello, I have a question when I tried to file my tax return using Wealthsimple.

I used to hold the work permit and filed tax returns for both the federal and the provincial governments for the previous years. On January 13, 2021, I became a permanent resident of Canada. When I filed my tax return, there is a question asks "Did you become a resident of Canada (immigrate) for tax purposes in 2020?" I am not quite sure if I should answer "Yes" or "No" on this question. I think that this would be a "No" since I have filed tax returns before. But I am not sure of it.

Could anyone help me with this question?

Thanks!

You were a resident of Canada for tax purposes before you became a PR since you were already residing and working in Canada, therefore the answer to this question is No.