+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax Residence Status for short stay in Canada

nukey56

Mar 17, 2023
Hi Everyone,

I landed in Nov 2022 for a short while, collected my SIN number and left in 12 days. Now I am filing 2022 tax.

I am definitely a non-resident but my question is, do I need to still show my malaysian income? If am showing it in TurboxTax, it is giving me a tax balance due however after speaking to a tax clinic consultant, they mentioned that my tax should be zero.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 1083629

Hi Everyone,

I landed in Nov 2022 for a short while, collected my SIN number and left in 12 days. Now I am filing 2022 tax.

I am definitely a non-resident but my question is, do I need to still show my malaysian income? If am showing it in TurboxTax, it is giving me a tax balance due however after speaking to a tax clinic consultant, they mentioned that my tax should be zero.

Thanks!
So, if you are filing taxes for 2022, you need to state that you were not in Canada on December 31st, 2022. Whether you show your malaysian income or not, your tax credit/debit will be 0 as you will be ruled as a non-resident for tax purposes.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Everyone,

Thanks!
Yes if you decide to file 2022 taxes you have to state your worldwide income. Actually the only good reason to file your taxes are for certain tax credit and benefit amounts that are based on previous year’s worldwide income. Since you weren’t a Canadian tax resident you will not owe any taxes

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is tax filing mandatory for those who did soft landing?
No as long as the person hasn’t created significant ties to Canada like having dependent family members living in Canada, establishing financial accounts in Canada, etc. I assume the short landing means days to a few weeks in Canada not months to a year. If there is any doubt about your tax residency status contact CRA. They have a process to determine your tax residency status.

caninfoseeker

Aug 25, 2011
Toronto
Visa Office......
Sydney
Reactions: canuck78

devgita**

Mar 26, 2023
Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

devgita**

Mar 26, 2023
hello, I would like to know the residential status of a person who landed in september 2 2022 and has income through T4 till december.