+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax Question Citizenship

circuit

Aug 7, 2014
The "Not present" part is meant for those who became Canadian PRs and left Canada/did not move to Canada after they did their landing. Since your wife became a PR in 2017, it does not apply. To ease your anxiety you can simply mention in your application for 2015/2016 - "Does not apply - Prior to acquiring Canadian PR or moving to Canada - Resident of India".
That helps actually. Definitely easier to digest the question now. My wife already sent the application which is why I got worried. Some people were putting No for required to file and no for filing even if they did not move here. She did not think of doing this because she did file taxes in India, which she showed to CRA in 2017 as world income. We did not want to contradict with that CRA was told and what CIC is being told.

Honestly this question is more confusing that what it should be. It should just be whether you filed taxes in Canada within the last 5 years?

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
That helps actually. Definitely easier to digest the question now. My wife already sent the application which is why I got worried. Some people were putting No for required to file and no for filing even if they did not move here. She did not think of doing this because she did file taxes in India, which she showed to CRA in 2017 as world income. We did not want to contradict with that CRA was told and what CIC is being told.

Honestly this question is more confusing that what it should be. It should just be whether you filed taxes in Canada within the last 5 years?
A general piece of advice. If you find something confusing. Do the following:

(1) Research the topic - Like you are right now on the forum and try to see if there is a clear answer. If not do (2)
(2) Give your best response and include a LOE (Letter Of Explanation) with your application explaining the confusing parts and providing evidence.

I did that for my PR application and found that IRCC officials were very appreciative of my detailed approach when I asked for GCMS notes.

circuit

Aug 7, 2014
A general piece of advice. If you find something confusing. Do the following:

(1) Research the topic - Like you are right now on the forum and try to see if there is a clear answer. If not do (2)
(2) Give your best response and include a LOE (Letter Of Explanation) with your application explaining the confusing parts and providing evidence.

I did that for my PR application and found that IRCC officials were very appreciative of my detailed approach when I asked for GCMS notes.
Thanks. Will do. Honestly we called CIC regarding this. In their words "We don't care about taxes in India, just Canada". We interpreted that as "We do not need to mention 2016, 2015" since my wife moved here in "August of 2017".

Zrittos

Feb 17, 2021
Not sure if they actually care. Its a vague question. She could tell that she filed in 2016. But those were taxes in India and not Canada. Was she required to file those? Yes, but not in Canada. Answering 'No' would probably raise doubts as she was working as mentioned in Work/Education history of the application. This would probably just create more confusion with the applicant and the officer. Also if they care, it is mentioned in the application that she first landed in August 2017 and had no status and was not present in Canada before the date. Any competent officer should be able to understand that she was not here hence she only mentioned 3 years.

Its just that I was going through the forum and came across this:

Q12 (b): Tell us when you filed your income taxes in the last five (5) years using the chart below.

• Enter the tax year and indicate:
    • If you were required to file for the particular year AND
    • If you actually filed the taxes
  • NOTE: DO NOT leave a blank box here. You MUST mention all 5 years in your eligibility period even if you were not present in Canada for a part of those 5 years.
Here tax accountant near me vizit site company Your Books On Time.

and there is a special form. You can't decide anything yourself. They operate according to the instructions.