+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax on money transferred to Canada

Dreemer

Feb 20, 2013
Hi fellows,

I'm sure that the same question was asked before, but i still need some clarifications please.
I got my PR in July 2011 but i'm still not residing in Canada. Now i'm planning to move back to settle permanently.
I have one major concern, i'm selling my properties in my home countries and will be transferring huge amount of money to my Canadian bank account (~300,000 $). I will use this money to buy a condo in Canada.
Will there be any tax implications on this transferred amount?

Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If that property was sold BEFORE you became resident of Canada, then there is no tax implication.

Goran01

May 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2009
Doc's Request.
Dec 2009
AOR Received.
Dec 2009
File Transfer...
Dec 2009
Med's Request
Apr 2012
Med's Done....
May 2012 but expiry extended per request by VO
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
May 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Hopefully June 2013, IA
LANDED..........
Hopefully July 2013, IA
steaky said:
If that property was sold BEFORE you became resident of Canada, then there is no tax implication.
I am in similar situation. I have accumulated savings (over $100k) but these are not from any sale of property, just savings from monthly salary deposited in bank. If I transfer my savings to my Canadian bank a/c after landing in Canada as a PR, then will those savings be taxed?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Goran01 said:
I am in similar situation. I have accumulated savings (over $100k) but these are not from any sale of property, just savings from monthly salary deposited in bank. If I transfer my savings to my Canadian bank a/c after landing in Canada as a PR, then will those savings be taxed?
No tax.

Ruhi123

Star Member
Jun 21, 2012
Hi,
I have got my PR and planning to fly in the month of July & will return in mid august. I wil take POF for landing purpose.
But i cannot take all the funds right now, i will be taking next time somewhere in march, 2014.
What are the tax implications on the amount on my second visit to CA?
Appreiciate yr information & guidance.

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Check with a good accountant depending on how your immigrate to Canada in some cases you can keep your money off shore for a period of five years without paying any tax to CRA. These rules change all the time so please don't take this as gospel I am not an accountant. You can always bring your money to Canada and then it will be taxed, if you need to buy a property then obviously you need the money in Canada.

The rule of thumb is CRA and the Canadian Government want people to bring their money to Canada this creates tax revenue for the Government.