+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax Obligations: Employed in the US (US payroll) working remotely from Canada

missedTheGCBus

Star Member
Sep 8, 2022
Yes, before I go to a tax expert, I'm trying to have this discussion going to see what the outcome is so far for those who've thought about or dealt with it. This isn't just for me. There are several others who may be browsing these forums silently, or others who are in this position but are unaware or have no answers for this just yet. This discussion benefits many people (non-resident for tax purposes, residents for tax purposes including commuters who aren't commuting anymore) - even those who may call others "newcomers" and think of themselves as know it all. This is not the "usual" scenario of living in Canada and working in the US, and that is the core to this discusison.

Yes - that is what I'm saying. At this point, there is zero clarity from CRA.
has there been any clarity on this in the last few years?
How much commuting is enough? In my case I spent roughly 50% of my time working in the US vs 50% in Canada, what does CRA expect. Will they contact my employer (who is not supportive about working in Canada or running payroll etc) for tax collection purposes or just ask me to pay them more tax and collect a refund from IRS?