+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax information for expat looking to sponsor wife

razor787

Star Member
Jan 8, 2017
Hello,

I left Canada for Russia in 2016, and haven't done anything regarding my taxes. Speaking with my accountant, he told me I need to Contact the CRA to declare myself as a non-resident beginning in 2016, which will mean that I don't need to submit a return for the following years.

I have tried calling the CRA multiple times, but I am always told that 'the queues are full' and I need to try again later.

Does anyone have any information on if my accountant was correct, or if there is anything else I can do to fix my tax situation? I need to get this sorted out before I apply.

jclarke99

May 10, 2020
How many days were you in Canada in 2016? If it's 183+ days, you'd probably be considered a Canadian resident for tax purposes for that year.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I left Canada for Russia in 2016, and haven't done anything regarding my taxes. Speaking with my accountant, he told me I need to Contact the CRA to declare myself as a non-resident beginning in 2016, which will mean that I don't need to submit a return for the following years.

I have tried calling the CRA multiple times, but I am always told that 'the queues are full' and I need to try again later.

Does anyone have any information on if my accountant was correct, or if there is anything else I can do to fix my tax situation? I need to get this sorted out before I apply.
Leaving for Russia doesn’t guarantee that you’re not a tax resident. You’ll need to ask CRA to determine your status.

razor787

Star Member
Jan 8, 2017
I finally got through to the CRA, and they told me that I just need to file for the 2 months I worked in 2016, and declare myself as a non-resident, and it will fix everything.

Now the only problem is getting a t4 from my former job. My old boss has stopped replying to my messages...

hyong1991

Star Member
Feb 27, 2019
I finally got through to the CRA, and they told me that I just need to file for the 2 months I worked in 2016, and declare myself as a non-resident, and it will fix everything.

Now the only problem is getting a t4 from my former job. My old boss has stopped replying to my messages...
if deductions are taken out of your pay chq, you may be able to see your T-4 information online through my cra, hope this helps