+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax income

Patrick23@

Nov 2, 2022
Dear all
I'm a pr I reside in Canada I and my family for 1 year( 2020) after that we left the country (2021)and i didn't inform ARC about that, I didn't declare income taxe for 2021(living outside Canada) also I received child benefit for 5 month after I left.
My concern is I want to go back next summer, so I want to regularize everything before going back.
My question :is it better to declare income tax for 2021 first and let them figure out about child benifit return(5 month) that I need to pay back or inform them first about the child benefit received while we were outside Canada and pay back money +interest after that I declare the income taxe for 2021.
Please help me because I know that my case is so complicated.
Thank you in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear all
I'm a pr I reside in Canada I and my family for 1 year( 2020) after that we left the country (2021)and i didn't inform ARC about that, I didn't declare income taxe for 2021(living outside Canada) also I received child benefit for 5 month after I left.
My concern is I want to go back next summer, so I want to regularize everything before going back.
My question :is it better to declare income tax for 2021 first and let them figure out about child benifit return(5 month) that I need to pay back or inform them first about the child benefit received while we were outside Canada and pay back money +interest after that I declare the income taxe for 2021.
Please help me because I know that my case is so complicated.
Thank you in advance.
You should contact CRA right away to stop any future payments that you may receive incorrectly. Less money that you will have to pay back. You need to inform CRA and the provincial health system if you are leaving for over 6 months (7 months for healthcare unless during your first year in the province). Although you may have a valid healthcard it isn’t valid because you didn’t meet the residency obligation so you will also have to reapply for healthcare when you return. You must inform CRA that you left. CRA can determine if you were a tax resident for 2021 based on a questionnaire. You are unlikely a tax resident if you don’t have a spouse or dependent children in Canada, don’t have assets in Canada, etc. If you were not a tax resident then there is no need to file taxes. Do not file taxes as if you were living in Canada in 2021. That would be fraud. Many of the payments would start again if it appears that you were living in Canada in 2021.