+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax filing in canada after moving from USA

lenkoo

Sep 4, 2018
Hello,

I moved from the USA to Canada in 2019. I am currently in the process of filing for a tax return and turbox tax is asking me to provide my income for the period of time I was in the USA. My tax returns are getting seriously affected once I report my US income for the time period I was in USA.

Do I need to provide my US income in my Canada tax filing?

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

I moved from the USA to Canada in 2019. I am currently in the process of filing for a tax return and turbox tax is asking me to provide my income for the period of time I was in the USA. My tax returns are getting seriously affected once I report my US income for the time period I was in USA.

Thanks
You don't report foreign income that was earned before becoming a tax resident in Canada. https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving-entering-canada-non-residents/newcomers-canada-immigrants.html#whtr

BECA RCIC

May 27, 2020
Vancouver
Category........
Other
Hello,

Thanks
When you enter Canada to establish your residency in Canada, you became a resident of Canada, not a necessary resident for tax purposes. there are a lot of factors in the determination of one person's residency for tax purposes. Canada levy income taxes on the taxpayer who is a resident for tax purposes.

On your T1 jacket, you will need to report the date you became a Canadian resident, any income earned prior to that day doesn't need to be reported on your income tax return.

However, there's a catch, you will need to report the foreign asset you owned during the year of 2019 (after you became a resident for tax purpose) if the asset has a cost amount of over 100k CAD. In this case, the "Cost" amount is equal to the fair market value of your assets at the date you became a resident of Canada.

Bing

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
When you enter Canada to establish your residency in Canada, you became a resident of Canada, not a necessary resident for tax purposes. there are a lot of factors in the determination of one person's residency for tax purposes. Canada levy income taxes on the taxpayer who is a resident for tax purposes.

On your T1 jacket, you will need to report the date you became a Canadian resident, any income earned prior to that day doesn't need to be reported on your income tax return.

However, there's a catch, you will need to report the foreign asset you owned during the year of 2019 (after you became a resident for tax purpose) if the asset has a cost amount of over 100k CAD. In this case, the "Cost" amount is equal to the fair market value of your assets at the date you became a resident of Canada.

Bing
Newcomers are not required to declare foreign assets on a T1135 in the year they become residents.