+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax Filing - Calculation of the Moving Expenses

Heshan

Aug 8, 2018
Hello Team,

I have a doubt regarding the calculation of the moving expenses. Appreciate any kind of help here.

I moved from Ontario to Alberta last year (2022). However, I didn't change my job. The moving was purely due to a personal reason, and it was not a job requirement or anything. I still continue to WFH for an Ontario company though I'm living in Alberta. In this case, can I claim for moving expenses when filing taxes?

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
Hello Team,

I have a doubt regarding the calculation of the moving expenses. Appreciate any kind of help here.

I moved from Ontario to Alberta last year (2022). However, I didn't change my job. The moving was purely due to a personal reason, and it was not a job requirement or anything. I still continue to WFH for an Ontario company though I'm living in Alberta. In this case, can I claim for moving expenses when filing taxes?
To qualify, your new home must be at least 40 kilometres closer (by the shortest usual public route) to your new work location.

Therefore no you cannot claim those moving expenses.

Heshan

Aug 8, 2018
To qualify, your new home must be at least 40 kilometres closer (by the shortest usual public route) to your new work location.

Therefore no you cannot claim those moving expenses.
@Naheulbeuck
My wife worked for an Alberta company when she was in Ontario (2022), and the same year (2022) we moved from Ontario to Alberta. She continues to work in Alberta after we moved in. Therefore, can she claim for the moving expenses based on the 40km rule?