+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

T1036 Home Buyers' Plan (HBP) Request to Withdraw Funds from an RRSP

yutaeren

Star Member
Apr 1, 2022
Hey, I've been just going through the form and I don't understand one thing, so I hoped someone here can help me answer it.
Me & my spouse are first time homebuyers and we have a little money in RRSP. I downloaded the form and it says there:

8b)
Have you been living separate and apart from your spouse or common-law partner because of a breakdown of your marriage or common-law partnership for a period of at least 90 days at the time of the withdrawal, and began living separate and apart in the year of the withdrawal or in the four preceding calendar years?

If not-- you cannot make an HBP withdrawal.

I have been living with my spouse and we're together and buying the house together, what does it mean that we're ineligible if not living separately?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hey, I've been just going through the form and I don't understand one thing, so I hoped someone here can help me answer it.
Me & my spouse are first time homebuyers and we have a little money in RRSP. I downloaded the form and it says there:

8b)
Have you been living separate and apart from your spouse or common-law partner because of a breakdown of your marriage or common-law partnership for a period of at least 90 days at the time of the withdrawal, and began living separate and apart in the year of the withdrawal or in the four preceding calendar years?

If not-- you cannot make an HBP withdrawal.

I have been living with my spouse and we're together and buying the house together, what does it mean that we're ineligible if not living separately?
You only have to answer question 8 if the answer of question 7 is YES.

At any time during the period beginning January 1 of the fourth year before the year of the withdrawal and ending 31 days before the date of the withdrawal, did you or your spouse or common-law partner own a home that you occupied as an individual with a marital status of single, or with that other individual while you were spouses or common-law partners?

Yes – You are not considered a first-time home buyer *, and you cannot make a HBP withdrawal. However, if you are making this withdrawal after 2019 and experienced a breakdown of marriage or common-law partnership, go to question 8a) to confirm your eligibility
So you already lived in a home that you or your partner owns? If so, you are not a first time home buyer, you (as a family unit) already owned your home before buying this new home.

Reactions: yutaeren