+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SUV Application From The UK With Caution on My Record

JFSJoey

Dec 17, 2020
Category........
BUSINESS
For context, I went through a recognised Canadian incubator program this year. I should receive the Letter of Support soon and will then be eligible to apply for SUV.
My concern/issue is a bit convoluted so here it goes:

• I have a spent caution on my UK record from over 5 years ago (June 2015, I believe). Does the specifics of that caution matter or is it just a minor thing since it’s still just a caution?
    • I looked into things and found out that a caution from over 5 years ago would not explicitly show up on the police record that CIC requires but it would be indirectly mentioned that something has been on my record before.
    • Also, I am reading that cautions are specifically a UK thing and that Canada just treats cautions as convictions. Is this true/relevant?

• Given the fact that I do have a caution on my record, what would be the best way to handle my application?
    • Do I attach a letter explaining how it was during a rough time in my life and how I’ve since gotten a career, gone back to university, and have never been involved with anything criminal since?
    • Or is it best to not bring it up and just apply as normal since it was over 5 years ago and is not explicitly on my record anymore?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
For context, I went through a recognised Canadian incubator program this year. I should receive the Letter of Support soon and will then be eligible to apply for SUV.
My concern/issue is a bit convoluted so here it goes:

• I have a spent caution on my UK record from over 5 years ago (June 2015, I believe). Does the specifics of that caution matter or is it just a minor thing since it’s still just a caution?
    • I looked into things and found out that a caution from over 5 years ago would not explicitly show up on the police record that CIC requires but it would be indirectly mentioned that something has been on my record before.
    • Also, I am reading that cautions are specifically a UK thing and that Canada just treats cautions as convictions. Is this true/relevant?

• Given the fact that I do have a caution on my record, what would be the best way to handle my application?
    • Do I attach a letter explaining how it was during a rough time in my life and how I’ve since gotten a career, gone back to university, and have never been involved with anything criminal since?
    • Or is it best to not bring it up and just apply as normal since it was over 5 years ago and is not explicitly on my record anymore?
To the best of my knowledge it depends on what the caution is for. The details matter.

Beltex

Star Member
Jan 24, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London UK
Under the terms of a caution you accept your guilt. Your immigration police certificate will come back saying "No Live Trace" whereas a clean one would say "No Trace". When CIC get your police certificate saying "No Live Trace" they will almost certainly ask for further information in the form of a "Subject Access" report. The point is everything will come out so you need to read and answer the questions about criminality very carefully.