+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Surviving with sickle cell disease in canada

Gabby Banks

Jul 27, 2017
Nigeria
Hello guys I really need help on surviving with SS in Canada. I am from Nigeria and a stickler. I work with globacom but I wish to travel to Canada for my masters but I am very concerned about surviving in Canada as a sickler because of cold and high medical expenses. Please is there any one living in Canada with SS please tell me your experience and challenges

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should look at the level of coverage available to international students through the uhip health plan. If your plan is to enter the pgwp program with the aim to immigrate you should look whether you will be considered medically inadmissible. Obviously your health may change once you get to Canada and that could also make you medically inadmissible.

DPT

Sep 29, 2017
Hi, I am currently living in Canada with sickle cell and I too was concerned about the cold. I haven't had a severe crisis since being here so i've been lucky. When you arrive for your masters program you will be covered by UHIP (all universities use this insurance plan). I am currently on my post graduate work permit and I am in the process of applying for Permanent Residence (PR). From what I understand us sicklers won't have a problem passing the Medical for PR. I understand your hesitation to come to Canada with sickle cell and I had the same thoughts as well, but I went for it and everything is fine so far.
Good Luck!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I am currently living in Canada with sickle cell and I too was concerned about the cold. I haven't had a severe crisis since being here so i've been lucky. When you arrive for your masters program you will be covered by UHIP (all universities use this insurance plan). I am currently on my post graduate work permit and I am in the process of applying for Permanent Residence (PR). From what I understand us sicklers won't have a problem passing the Medical for PR. I understand your hesitation to come to Canada with sickle cell and I had the same thoughts as well, but I went for it and everything is fine so far.
Good Luck!
Depending on the severity of your sickle cell medical inadmissibility could definitely be an issue.

EvaDee

Jul 20, 2018
Good Luck!

Please can I pm you? I’m interested in this topic and I’d like to really know more.

Apr 19, 2018
Good Luck!
Please i need more information from your this my whatsapp number please add me or you can give me yours thanks +971586763300

DPT

Sep 29, 2017
Just wanted to give an update to everyone. I received my PR and immediately applied for OHIP. So far any testing/treatment that is sickle cell related has been covered under OHIP and I haven't had to pay anything myself. I hope this helps someone

taymedayor

Apr 28, 2023
Good Luck!
please can I get more Information on this ?. I really need to speak with you . can you pm me your number or email . I don't know how to pm on here

Fizhér

Star Member
Oct 26, 2023
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Accra
Med's Request
06-11-2023
Med's Done....
10-11-2023
Passport Req..
29-11-2023
Good Luck!

I had my medical request form from IRCC for my study permit and had the medical exams done today. I also have much concern because I'm SC patient.

But reading your post has unburdened me a little.
Thanks

Fizhér

Star Member
Oct 26, 2023
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Accra
Med's Request
06-11-2023
Med's Done....
10-11-2023
Passport Req..
29-11-2023
Just wanted to give an update to everyone. I received my PR and immediately applied for OHIP. So far any testing/treatment that is sickle cell related has been covered under OHIP and I haven't had to pay anything myself. I hope this helps someone
It really does.

Lots of thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I had my medical request form from IRCC for my study permit and had the medical exams done today. I also have much concern because I'm SC patient.

But reading your post has unburdened me a little.
Thanks
It really depends on the individual case and what level of treatment you receive. As a student there will be a record of your healthcare use in Canada which may make it much harder to get PR. If you have a chronic condition coming to a Canada assuming you will eventually be able to secure PR and pass a medical multiple years from now is a risk. Getting a study permit can also be difficult especially in certain provinces with health issues.