+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Support letters

dream99

Star Member
Nov 1, 2010
1. Can support letters be typed by me then signed by the person that is confirming our relationship? For example: Write a letter on my own and have my spouse's mother sign it? Because there are people who cannot speak/write english so if I wanted to get them to write a letter it would be in their own language....which wouldn't be useful.
If I'm allowed to do that, should I state that I, the sponsor, am writing this letter and having it signed due to the person not knowing the english language? And what point of view should I speak in?

2. Should all secondary support documents such as bills and cards/letters to eachother be photocopied? Because on the checklist it says to include post marked envelopes for the letters.

jiyamano

May 31, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
LANDED..........
dream99 said:
1. Can support letters be typed by me then signed by the person that is confirming our relationship? For example: Write a letter on my own and have my spouse's mother sign it? Because there are people who cannot speak/write english so if I wanted to get them to write a letter it would be in their own language....which wouldn't be useful.
If I'm allowed to do that, should I state that I, the sponsor, am writing this letter and having it signed due to the person not knowing the english language? And what point of view should I speak in?

You can ask them to write in Japanese and get it translated. This would be better. This is my opinion I dont know if u are allowed to do what u have suggested above.

2. Should all secondary support documents such as bills and cards/letters to eachother be photocopied? Because on the checklist it says to include post marked envelopes for the letters.

I attached all my original supporting documents and i got all of them back. You can attach photocopies as well. If you are including photocopies of letters then just put a copy of post marked envelops.

glak1234

Star Member
Apr 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna, Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dream99 said:

I typed the letter out myself for my parents, they aren't that great with english but know how to read. They read it and signed it. We had no issues.

Cards and letters should be copies if you don't want to misplace the originals. Some offices don't send originals back. If you are able to, photocopy them and send them its always best to have originals on hand just in case

glak1234

Star Member
Apr 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna, Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dream99 said:
What kind of format should the letters look like?

I don't know about everyone else, but I used business letter format because I thought it was appropriate.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
dream99 said:
What kind of format should the letters look like?
any format is fine just be sure the content is relevant. I sent this bit below to the friends and family I asked. We put a conjugal application together. If you are married (I think you are and haven't had the ceremony yet, right?) then you might ask friends to include a statement that the know you are married, were married on XX date in XX place.

General information to consider including in your message

1. A description of how you know either one of us (typically the person you knew first)...examples
I am a friend of XXX, I was a co-worker of XXX, I am the sister of XXX, etc

2. A description of how you became aware of our relationship, when you met the other partner, activities we participated in together, etc

3. A statement to the effect that, in your judgement, we are in a real, loving, ongoing, genuine (you choose the words) relationship based on your personal knowledge and experiences

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
dream99 said:
Don't do this. If the visa officer finds out - or even suspects - that someone who cannot read and write English has 'written' and English support letter, the PR visa could be refused. It will definitely cause problems. Get them to write it in their own language, and have it translated.
If I'm allowed to do that, should I state that I, the sponsor, am writing this letter and having it signed due to the person not knowing the english language?
Don't do this. The letter is supposed to show what some other person thinks of your relationship. If you admit that you wrote it and that the person who supposedly wrote it can't even understand it, the letter is useless.
Some people have done this and have not had any problem, but that would be because the letter looked legitimate and the visa officer believed it. So at the very least do not admit you wrote it yourself. And the best solution is to have the person actually write the letter themselves - in whatever language they know - and get it translated.
If the checklist does not specifically say the supporting docs have to be originals, send photocopies - since you may need the originals yorself later. You can send photocopies of the envelopoes as well.

Quince777

Aug 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dream99 said:
Also pay stubs...original or copy?
Usually pay stubs are not necessary if you're submitting an official employment confirmation letter. But if you want to submit pay stubs, photocopies should be fine.

Quince777

Aug 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dream99 said:
I submitted photocopies only, originals are kept with me.

dream99

Star Member
Nov 1, 2010
canadianwoman said:
Don't do this. If the visa officer finds out - or even suspects - that someone who cannot read and write English has 'written' and English support letter, the PR visa could be refused. It will definitely cause problems. Get them to write it in their own language, and have it translated.Don't do this. The letter is supposed to show what some other person thinks of your relationship. If you admit that you wrote it and that the person who supposedly wrote it can't even understand it, the letter is useless.
Some people have done this and have not had any problem, but that would be because the letter looked legitimate and the visa officer believed it. So at the very least do not admit you wrote it yourself. And the best solution is to have the person actually write the letter themselves - in whatever language they know - and get it translated.If the checklist does not specifically say the supporting docs have to be originals, send photocopies - since you may need the originals yorself later. You can send photocopies of the envelopoes as well.
I see, thank you.. Can I translate the letters of support myself?

dream99

Star Member
Nov 1, 2010
dream99 said:
I see, thank you.. Can I translate the letters of support myself?
Sorry you answered this for me in my other thread. You said I can translate the letters myself but will I have to explain that this letter was translated by me, the sponsor or should I not say anything about who translated it?

dream99

Star Member
Nov 1, 2010
Kedeisha already answered this for me before...that I write the letters of support to the embassy or consulate. But how... meaning.... Dear Embassy of Canada, or Dear Consulate..?

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
it doesn't have to be super formal IMO

you can write to the VO, IO, Embassy however you want

I would say to the Canadian Visa Office of (your processing office name here)

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Any type of salutation is OK. Some of mine said "To whom it may concern"; others didn't have any greeting or opening line.