+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Super Visa" for spouses

s.and.s

Star Member
Jun 7, 2016
Guys,

I am aware that IRCC has instituted a separate visa class, i.e. 'Super Visa' for immediate relatives, i.e. parents and grand-parents. Why then, can't the same visa class also be extended to spouses?

The Canadian sponsor in this case can take an undertaking to support the sponsored person financially and be responsible for their whereabouts at all times. We could also get health insurance and what have you, in a manner exactly the same as that for Super Visa. This shouldn't add to IRCC's sponsorship section's workload as these applications can be handled under the TRV umbrella.

I am planning to write to IRCC and my MP on this, and encourage everyone else to do the same. This will allow for much needed relief for many of us who's relationships are suffering because of the excruciatingly long sponsorship times.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Maybe they don't think it's necessary because of spousal sponsorship being fairly short compared to the insane parental times. Parental sponsorship isn't as practical, especially since parents and grandparents are older.

Spouses can still get a regular visitor's visa which covers the PR time period. I don't see how a super visa would help, unless they lower the bar for obtaining one.

As it stands now, spouses from high-risk countries actually have less chance of getting a visitor's visa once they've applied for PR. To me that seems like the issue over a longer visa.

M

mikeymyke

You should know that aside from being restricted to just parents and grandparents, mandatory insurance, and longer visa validity, there's really not that much difference between a super visa and a regular TRV. Applicant is still required to show strong ties to home country, have good finances, employment, travel history, etc.

Even if they offered a super visa for spouses, the spouse would still have the issue of proving they're a genuine visitor, which is the same issue with regular TRVs.

For the time being , just have to submit lots of proof the applicant will leave Canada and not plan to overstay.