+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Suggestions for fiance to move to Canada at the earliest

vanandsh

Sep 17, 2020
Hi Forum,

I am from India and have completed my masters from UBC, Vancouver. I have applied for PGWP that is valid till 2023 and am currently working here. My plan initially was to go back to India after my masters and get married to my gf and apply for PR post that. Due to COVID, my plans changed, and I am wondering what would be the best way ahead.

Considering we will be legally married towards the end of the year or beginning next year, What would be the best way for her to move to Canada to accompany me?

1) She comes here on a visitor visa, and we apply for PR together
2) I apply for PR individually and add her later and she can join me once we get our PR
3) She comes here on a visitor visa, and I add her to my work permit so that she can start work too, and then apply for PR
4) She alone can qualify for PR given she has a Masters and over 5 years of experience, would it make sense for her to apply for PR now, and expect that she'll have a valid status to enter Canada in the next 6-7 months?

I am looking for options that minimize the waiting period for her to come and be able to work here.

Thanks in advance :) Looking forward to suggestions

Andy

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
To apply for PR one of you needs to meet the requirements. Depending on your field that means either you apply for BC PNP, or through the CEC after a year of Canadian work experience, or she applies if she already has a high enough CRS score. Processing times for her would be more like 8 to 12 months at best.

If you marry at any point during the application process, she would add you to her profile or vice versa, and withdraw the other profile. Until travel restrictions are lifted she likely cannot travel to Canada as a visitor.

vanandsh

Sep 17, 2020
To apply for PR one of you needs to meet the requirements. Depending on your field that means either you apply for BC PNP, or through the CEC after a year of Canadian work experience, or she applies if she already has a high enough CRS score. Processing times for her would be more like 8 to 12 months at best.

If you marry at any point during the application process, she would add you to her profile or vice versa, and withdraw the other profile. Until travel restrictions are lifted she likely cannot travel to Canada as a visitor.
Thanks for the response :)

Based on your response, it seems the best way is to submit for PRs separately now, and if we get married before we get our PRs, we can add one of the other in one profile and withdraw the other.

Considering, this whole process would take about a year, will she able to apply for a visitor visa and come here till we receive PR? (this is assuming travel restrictions are lifted)

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thanks for the response :)

Based on your response, it seems the best way is to submit for PRs separately now, and if we get married before we get our PRs, we can add one of the other in one profile and withdraw the other.

Considering, this whole process would take about a year, will she able to apply for a visitor visa and come here till we receive PR? (this is assuming travel restrictions are lifted)
Sure, theoretically.

But at the rate this virus is going, there doesn't seem to be any date the restrictions will be lifted in the foreseeable future.

vanandsh

Sep 17, 2020
Sure, theoretically.

But at the rate this virus is going, there doesn't seem to be any date the restrictions will be lifted in the foreseeable future.
That's true. Hopefully, there will be a vaccine out soon, and we'll all be able to travel around.