+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

successful IAD residency obligation appeal

Ezzo90

Jan 12, 2019
Hello
I had a successful IAD residency obligation appeal.
I am a PR but did stay outside Canada for a while and when I tried to apply for a travel document as my PR card got expired as I was abroad and I want to come back to Canada I was refused so I appealed the decision and it was successful.
What are my next steps?
Should I reapply for a travel document again so that I can come to Canada, or they will automatically send me one?
Please advise
Thanks

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello
I am a PR but did stay outside Canada for a while and when I tried to apply for a travel document as my PR card got expired as I was abroad and I want to come back to Canada I was refused so I appealed the decision and it was successful.
What are my next steps?
Should I reapply for a travel document again so that I can come to Canada, or they will automatically send me one?
Please advise
Thanks
Great news, you are still a PR. Entitled to a PR Travel Document.

Not so great news: as far as what has been shared in this forum, what happens next is not clear. When you find out, please, please let us know how it goes, how you got there, and so on.

If you have a lawyer or presentative that assisted you in the appeal, they should be able to offer more information and explanation.

Here's some background
: Forum participant @bilaljah has recently (this year) posed a similar question, for comparable situation. Successful appeal as of late January 2023 but still no new PR TD as of the last posts just a bit over three weeks ago. This is discussed in some depth in the topic "PRTD Appeal allowed, PRTD still under review?" which is here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/prtd-appeal-allowed-prtd-still-under-review.791886/#post-10400297

@bilaljah appears to have, or at least possibly has, the ability to travel to the U.S. A PRTD is not necessary to return to Canada if the PR can travel to the U.S. and then travel to a land-border-crossing Port-of-Entry into Canada on the U.S./Canada border. That is a way to avoid having to wait or even wrestle with getting a PR TD issued once the appeal is successful.

That is, if you are capable of traveling to the U.S. (either with current passport, or with a visa to travel to the U.S.), you can just come to Canada via the U.S. And, obviously, if you are in the U.S. (one of your older posts referred to you being in the U.S.), the best way to actually return to Canada is just travel to the U.S./Canada border (you can fly to city near the border, like Buffalo, New York, or Detroit, Michigan, or Seattle, Washington, and take land transportation to the border).

My guess is you may have already known that, and would not be asking your question now if that was an option. Leading back to we do not know the practical procedure now (following the favourable decision by the IAD) for actually getting a PR Travel Document that will allow you to board an airline flight coming to Canada. Leading back to asking, begging actually, you come back and let us know what you find out when you learn more.

Note: you appear to have used this forum ID to discuss multiple individuals, among them is one whose PR status appears to have derived from obtaining protected person or refugee status in Canada, which can pose issues other PRs do not face. If you have further questions, please (1) read the posts in the @bilaljah thread linked above, and (2) it will help to clarify some background (including whether this is a query about a PR-refugee or not).

Reactions: armoured and scylla

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello
What are my next steps?
Please advise
Thanks
You’d need to apply for a PRTD based on H&C and hope it is approved or return to Canada vis the US if you have a US visa. A PRTD isn’t guaranteed even if a PR card has been approved. If this is for the mother how did they apply for a new PR card if they haven’t been in Canada since 2014? That seems to have been an oversight. To apply for PR card renewal you must apply within Canada.