+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Submitting Application Before Police Checks Have Arrived?

English Rose

Sep 13, 2011
Hi,

From other threads it seems we can submit a PR application *before* police checks have arrived; however, the instructions available through CIC suggest that police checks should be submitted *with* the PR application. Does anyone have any advice on this matter?

I'm assuming I should follow the CIC instructions, i.e., wait for my police checks, unless I have misunderstood them. The benefit would be that my husband's sponsorship application could be processed while we waited for my police checks, so the process might be sped up slightly--as long as my application weren't then held up for not having the police checks.

I'll be applying for PR, family class, via my Canadian spouse. We are currently living in the US, so we will be applying outland (probably via London, as I am British, and the UK office is faster than the Buffalo one).

Thanks for your help!
Rose

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
You *may* apply before receiving your police certificates and enclose a letter showing that you have applied for them and are still waiting to receive them. Others have done so and been successful.

Would I recommend it? No. I say put a complete package together as specified by CIC and then wash your hands of it. Having things outstanding which you must wait for the visa office to receive your application, begin to review it, then request these documents from you, pray to God they match it up when you send it, then wait for them to realise you have sent it and start processing your file again etc etc etc can cause unnecessary delays on the back end of the process.

You will be dealing with a quick office, which is also highly efficient, and in such a case I suggest ensuring you send a complete application to London, thereby making it easier for them to do what they need to do, which they already do so well. :)

dream99

Star Member
Nov 1, 2010
I recommend waiting until you receive your police clearance and send everything together to avoid complications!

awor

Nov 4, 2010
Oregon to Alberta
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> LA
App. Filed.......
26 Aug 2011
AOR Received.
15 Dec 2011
File Transfer...
[b]CPC-M to Buffalo:[/b] 03 Nov 2011 [b]Buffalo to LA:[/b] 19 Jan 2012
Med's Done....
11 Apr 2011 [b]Ecas shows received [/b]5 Mar 2012
Passport Req..
7 Mar 2012 [b]Decision Made[/b]: 1 Apr 2012
VISA ISSUED...
29 Mar 2012 [b] CORP Received[/b]: 19 Apr 2012
LANDED..........
Sumas: 25 April 2012 / [b]PR Cards Received[/b]: 4 July 2012
I know you got your answer but I wanted to add that I sent copies of our passport *cards* with a note I'd send along copies of our passport *books* when they arrive. Now I'm worried about all the stuff listed above. Waiting to get a file number - then sending it, and hoping they get it - because they don't tell you easily if they did or not! Definitely worth the wait.